Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Upper Build

Chappytactical

I have a STI DVC 3 that I would like to use as a platform for an Open Build. Can someone guide me in the right direction? Would like to either build the upper myself and have one built. Is this even worth it or would I be better off getting a whole new build from scratch?

1 hour ago, Chappytactical said:

I have a STI DVC 3 that I would like to use as a platform for an Open Build. Can someone guide me in the right direction? Would like to either build the upper myself and have one built. Is this even worth it or would I be better off getting a whole new build from scratch?

Send it to Gans Guns. Buy the parts you want and ship everything to him. He'll make it in a month or less for you. I know plenty of people who've have it done. He does great work

Bear in mind Gan's does not furnish parts.  You will have to buy whatever is needed and ship them to him.  Another thing to consider is what you want to do with your existing upper.  If you want to keep it and use it, your choice of slides for the Open build is limited.  For some strange reason STI has wider rails that most others.  Do if you  have a Caspian fit (for example) the rail width will be reduced to accommodate the Caspian slide and you will not be able to use your existing upper.  So I would measure the width of your frame rails and match it up agains the ways width of the slide you are considering.  I'm pretty sure you are stuck with an STI slide.

21 hours ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Send it to Gans Guns. Buy the parts you want and ship everything to him. He'll make it in a month or less for you. I know plenty of people who've have it done. He does great work

Totally agree on sending it to Gary at GANS

Having done this, I would recommend against it. 

It’s better to have a different gun. I get budgets suck sometimes, but I would really recommend just building a whole new gun.

Your DVC 3 gun is a phenomenal gun. Don’t go and chop it up. 

Why not have a second upper built? I have 3 uppers on one frame and 2 on another. One is open, 9 minor limited and 40 major limited. Other one is a 40 and 9 limited upper. Only thing with having an open and limited gun on the same frame is you have a few screw holes on the frame. No big deal. 

Dan at D2 Customs is the one who built my 3 in one and Sean Praksy built the limited gun setup. 

On 2/11/2021 at 7:10 PM, Bakerjd said:

Why not have a second upper built? I have 3 uppers on one frame and 2 on another. One is open, 9 minor limited and 40 major limited. Other one is a 40 and 9 limited upper. Only thing with having an open and limited gun on the same frame is you have a few screw holes on the frame. No big deal. 

Dan at D2 Customs is the one who built my 3 in one and Sean Praksy built the limited gun setup. 

I will definitely look into doing that.