Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good job cutting that hammer!  Do you have a sanding drum for your Dremel?  You will need a sanding drum and some cratex tips to polish it up and make it look really nice.   

On 2/21/2021 at 7:54 PM, Carmoney said:

Good job cutting that hammer!  Do you have a sanding drum for your Dremel?  You will need a sanding drum and some cratex tips to polish it up and make it look really nice.   

I do, it turns out! I'll have to get some cratex bits, though.

Any tips on grit to start with on the sanding drum?

Edited by Fishbreath
  • 1 month later...

One match in the books with the bobbed hammer, and I figured I would document my findings.

• After a practice that had me trusting the bobbed hammer and 9lb spring setup, the match was a dumpster fire. Light strikes started early and got worse, to the point where I put in the 14lb factory hammer spring after three stages.
  • That turned all notchy, and locked up entirely on the last stage of the day, to the point that I had to thumb the hammer back to free it.
  • Postmortem analysis:
    • Despite looking identical to the naked eye, some combination of the hammer and hammer dog are fit to the gun. Putting the stock hammer's dog into the bobbed hammer and vice versa yielded two hammers that didn't work at all. For the sake of establishing a reliable baseline, I'm back to the 10lb spring and the stock hammer.
    • I'm not sure if it's GP100s in general, the Super GP100 in particular, or this Super GP100 specifically, but it really wants heavy lubrication. The trigger starts to get notchy if things dry out. Two spots in particular that made a big difference are the mainspring strut pocket and the DA sear on the hammer. Some Slide Glide Lite seems to be doing the trick better than the Lucas gun grease I was using previously, but we'll see how it stands up to a week of dry fire and a match.
19 hours ago, Fishbreath said:

One match in the books with the bobbed hammer, and I figured I would document my findings.

• After a practice that had me trusting the bobbed hammer and 9lb spring setup, the match was a dumpster fire. Light strikes started early and got worse, to the point where I put in the 14lb factory hammer spring after three stages.
  • That turned all notchy, and locked up entirely on the last stage of the day, to the point that I had to thumb the hammer back to free it.
  • Postmortem analysis:
    • Despite looking identical to the naked eye, some combination of the hammer and hammer dog are fit to the gun. Putting the stock hammer's dog into the bobbed hammer and vice versa yielded two hammers that didn't work at all. For the sake of establishing a reliable baseline, I'm back to the 10lb spring and the stock hammer.
    • I'm not sure if it's GP100s in general, the Super GP100 in particular, or this Super GP100 specifically, but it really wants heavy lubrication. The trigger starts to get notchy if things dry out. Two spots in particular that made a big difference are the mainspring strut pocket and the DA sear on the hammer. Some Slide Glide Lite seems to be doing the trick better than the Lucas gun grease I was using previously, but we'll see how it stands up to a week of dry fire and a match.

Good information, appreciated. Sorry about the issues.

1 minute ago, pskys2 said:

I always go to a local match with a re-worked gun, 'cause Murphy lurks there.

Better there and be out $20 than the $225 + travel to a major 

3 hours ago, Mcfoto said:

Better there and be out $20 than the $225 + travel to a major 

My thoughts exactly.  Also more time to fiddle with things to try to get it solved.

Exactly. Better to iron all this out before major matches. (That's in part why my major match calendar looks pretty back-loaded this year.)

Anyway, I hope to come back to the bobbed hammer at some point.