Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing JP MK III handguard to put a Smoke on.

Ok I'm an idiot with a side of moron, so I'm having trouble replacing the Mark III hand guard from my GMR-15 with a Smoke.

My issue so far is actually getting the hand guard assembly off. I have the hand guard off, but when using the barrel nut adapter, I cannot get the nut to budge.  What am I missing?  Besides common sense.

Thanks!

jp barrel .jpg

barrel nut tool.jpg

14 minutes ago, CharlieD said:

I believe they use loc-tite on the barrel but, so you may have to put a torch on it.

Thanks that was my next step.  I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything to remove the hand guard once I get to the point of using the JP adapter nut tool with a wrench.

I was able to heat it up with a heat gun and pop it off (nearly literally... nothing nothing nothing BAM loose).

My next conundrum is installing the Smoke hand guard. Easy enough, except when the barrel nut is installed it leaves the hand guard canted a little so the mlock slots aren't at 12/3/6/9.  More like 11:30 or 12:30 for the top one as an example.  I haven't torqued down on it hard, but I don't think it's really going to move much more as it's at the barrel already.

3 hours ago, RexKramer said:

I was able to heat it up with a heat gun and pop it off (nearly literally... nothing nothing nothing BAM loose).

My next conundrum is installing the Smoke hand guard. Easy enough, except when the barrel nut is installed it leaves the hand guard canted a little so the mlock slots aren't at 12/3/6/9.  More like 11:30 or 12:30 for the top one as an example.  I haven't torqued down on it hard, but I don't think it's really going to move much more as it's at the barrel already.

You will need to shim the barrel

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-bar-shim-pack

or

https://bisonarmory.com/ar-15-barrel-nut-shim-set/

I prefer the Aeroprecision shims.