Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SKS Reloading

tires2burn

You should use the .310"  but many have used .309"  and there are also .311" bullets out there but the .310" are for the 7.62x39.  Many die sets come with two different neck expanders for loading 7.62x39 with .309"  or .310/.311"  bullets.  Make sure you are using the right one in order to get the proper neck tension. 

5 hours ago, tires2burn said:

So your saying that if the bore slugs out to .312 use a .310 bullet. Is that right?

If you use a .310 flat base bullet with a lead core, when fired and kicked in the seat of the pants the bullet should expand and fill the bore.

Many old .303 British Enfield rifles had bores as large as .317 and flat base .312 bullets would work just fine.

Edited by bigedp51

Thanks 6 & 51,

I just didn't want the .310 rattling down the barrel like a .355 in a .357. I guess the best way is to do a chrono and accuracy shoot and see how it goes. I found some Hornady SST 150gr in .312. I''ll load up some .310's and then some .312's  and go for it. The .310 are flat base and the SST are BT. I should be able to come up with a comparable load.

Make sure you clean the bolt of your SKS, I had one that went full auto. It has a floating firing pin and dirt, a sliver of brass etc and cause it to go full auto. This means compleatly disembling the bolt and removing the firing pin and cleaning.

Edited by bigedp51

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, frankge said:

people shoot .308 down an AK or 7.62 AR barrel fairly often. Cant speak to the accuracy though!

Its an SKS after all.

Not a quarter-minute precision rifle...