Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM Powder Volume (Minor PF)

jjoren

I currently rel 3.1 gr of Titegroup behind a 147 grain bullet.  This leaves more than enough space in the case for a possible accidental double charge.  I'm looking for a powder that has a greater volume and would fill the case better while meeting the same minor PF.  Any suggestions?

Lotta good powders for 9mm.

Vihtavuori N320 & Alliant Sport Pistol come to mind first.  If you're happy with 3.1 gr Titegroup then you need about 3.25-3.3 gr of these to reach the same velocity.  Both powders are less dense than Titegroup, having more loft, means they fill the case more.

52 minutes ago, jjoren said:

I'm looking for a powder that has a greater volume and would fill the case better while meeting the same minor PF.  Any suggestions?

Yes there are powders with greater volume per grain, but I've used a variety of powders with 10s of thousands of rounds and really don't understand why you may be afraid of a double charge.

Take your time and develop a process which is consistent and you will have zero issues.

BTW Clean Shot, Sport Pistol and TG are all very close to the same volume in the case. Try WST if you want a "fluffier" powder. The only problem is a 147 bullet loads deep and you may bot have enough room for WST. But others will have more knowledge using it with 9MM, I've only used it in 40 and 45 ACP for pistols.

Iv also used wst anywhere from 115g to 170g w very good results. I was running 147g bear creek with 3.2g to 3.3g and getting ~128pf out of cz shadow II. Nice easy load

Edited by Squirrel45
Forgot data set.

I use WST with 135gr bullets with good results.  Smoke is minimal with coated (no lube) but the smell is unique. 

I think some of the concerns like "it's no longer listed by the manufacturer" and "beware of pressure spikes" start to arise at heavier bullet weights, which is where you are.  (There are plenty of users on this board that have burned plenty of WST in 9mm through the years.)  But perhaps you (and I) are fine near the minor power floor.  It is fluffier in the case than 231 and significantly more volume than TG.

I'm transitioning from WST to e3 in 45 (200 gr major) and will likely consider it for 9mm once small primers come readily available again.  Case volume and clean/consistent burn at the low end of the power/pressure spectrum were my considerations for E3 vs WST.  E3 gives about 15% more volume than WST for me in this application.  I'm certainly not ragging on WST, as it's given me good results for light loadings across multiple calibers.

Somewhere I have a spreadsheet that takes charge weights to achieve my desired power factor and divides by density to look at case fill.  Along with e3, I remember Unique having a high projected volume for light 45 loads.  (I haven't looked into Unique for 9mm yet.)  I remember AA#2, Bullseye, American Select, and Sport Pistol being a few that were pretty similar on volume with WST for a given projected velocity.  I think it's LEE that publishes a VMD (density) chart for common powders.

Case fill isn't the end-all priority for my reloading but it is something to consider.  In theory, it factors into velocity consistency as well based on powder settling in the case.

Edited by johnmyster

Thanks for all the feedback!!  As I thought about it I should have given you some more information.  I have been reloading since 1973.  My current press is a Dillon 550 which has worked very well for a good number of years.  

Unfortunately, I had an eye surgery in October that resulted in me losing a significant amount of vision.  None the less I can still see enough to shoot steel.  And, while I can see enough to reload, I’ve lost enough acuity that peering down in a brass cartridge for 3 gr of Titegroup is not productive any more.   And as we all know it is possible to have a double charge with a 550.  Hence, if nothing else for my own confidence I was going to replace the 550 with a 750 to eliminate the manual indexing.   Then I found out how long it take me to get one and I gave that up for the time being.  Given the changes in my vision this is more a matter of So, this is more a  “feel good” than anything else.  

Thanks again for all the feedback!!

@jjoren,  If seeing powder inside the case clearly is an issue and your main concern then the product linked below is something to consider.  Maybe it can aid you with your visions problems & maybe it can't.  I have one on my 550 and it provides a lot of light to the shell plate.  I can easily see small charges in 9mm cases and .380 cases.

Inline Fabrication / "Skylight" LED lighting Kit for the Dillon RL 550 B and C ($34)

https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/lighting/products/skylighttm-led-lighting-kit-for-the-dillon-550

I use 3.2gr Sport Pistol with 147gr Hi-Tek coated almost exclusively.  A double charge would be "obvious" (for me) and not hidden.  I'm using an older Lee turret press. I'm looking into the LED solution as well. 

Happy Loading!!!

I will say WST is a light grey flake, which may be easier to see in the case than some darker powders.

I do have a friend using a powder cop on a 550.  I think it involves using a combo seat/crimp die on station #4.  That might be one solution but it seems like that would add more work for your right hand.

Another solution would be to prep and prime brass on one pass (perhaps on a different press) then move the powder die to station #1 with a powder cop in #2.

Not as easy as switching powders, but another option...