Timney Glock Alpha Competition trigger

tt350z

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, apetrulis01 said:

So is anyone else having the problem of not resetting. Seems like I would not want a defensive gun having this trigger if that is the case?

I put the Timney trigger in my G34.  It didn't seem to want to function properly with a Ghost trigger bar, so I put in the original bar and it seems to be working fine.  I like the feel very much; haven't weighed the trigger but might sometime soon.  I also haven't had a chance to get to the range with the pistol but hope to do that soon also.  So far, I'm impressed with the trigger and have nothing critical to say at all.  However, my G34 is a competition piece, and I personally WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS TRIGGER FOR A DEFENSIVE PIECE.

5 hours ago, apetrulis01 said:

So is anyone else having the problem of not resetting. Seems like I would not want a defensive gun having this trigger if that is the case?

I had very occasional sticky trigger if i pulled it just slightly past the wall and slowly let it out. With the trigger dry with no lube.

Messed around with it and found out the connector was bent to far out from the ejector housing causing the trigger bar to bind. Just bent it in a little, polished the connector where it contacts the bar, added some lube, and the trigger is super slick now. Just make sure the connector isnt bent so far in that the trigger bar jumps the connector. Doesnt stick if I dont lube it either.

Okay, an update.

I measured the trigger pull by pulling the trigger until I felt the wall just before the sear would release.  I then measured the force required to release the sear at around 1 lb 9 oz.  This point is where my finger would return to after discharging a round and resetting the trigger.  I've ignored the initial takeup for the first round.

It's just a single data point with one gun.  Don't know how it would change if I experimented with different connectors, but it's so much lighter and shorter than anything else I've tried I don't feel the need to optimize beyond what I have.

I got similar results to that of Low/High.  Total pull weight is 3 lbs. 2 oz. to 3 lbs. 5 oz.  If I zeroed the trigger gauge after the take up, I get 1 lbs. 6 oz. to 1 lbs. 8 oz.  I didn't do anything other than install it per their instructions.  It's the best Glock trigger I've ever pulled, and I've been shooting Glocks since '93.  I can't say I tried them all, but I've tried 15-20 combinations over the years, and nothing comes close to the Timney.

10 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, I wonder when the Gen 5 setup will be coming out? I have done everything to my Gen 5 trigger that I know and it is still not as good as my Gen 3 or Gen 2. Thanks, Eric

March 1st

Installed in a gen4 34 that came with a "-" connector. 2 3/4 lb. pull with a spring type Wheeler trigger gauge. Less take up, nice break (I would call it very slight rolling break), slightly longer reset. Very pleased. Have spent more for less results. Have been dry firing it and haven't had a rest problem. If the rain stays away I hope to shoot it in a steel match Sunday.

8 hours ago, 3gunDMD said:

How does it compare to the Johnny Glocks trigger? Is the trigger pull and reset as short?

The Johnny Glock's trigger is an excellent standard Glock trigger, but the Timney is a different beast altogether.  Rather than fine tune the internals it replaces the Glock mechanism with what's essentially a single action sear, resulting in a much shorter and lighter trigger pull.   Much better than what anyone can do to improve the Glock trigger.

Edited by LowSpeedHighDrag

3 hours ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

The Johnny Glock's trigger is an excellent standard Glock trigger, but the Timney is a different beast altogether.  Rather than fine tune the internals it replaces the Glock mechanism with what's essentially a single action sear, resulting in a much shorter and lighter trigger pull.   Much better than what anyone can do to improve the Glock trigger.

Which connector are you using?

57 minutes ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

I left in the Johnny Glock one.  At some point I might experiment with others, but his is an excellent connector as is.

Are you using the lightened striker spring and all the other johnny glocks stuff as well?

4 hours ago, 3gunDMD said:

Are you using the lightened striker spring and all the other johnny glocks stuff as well?

Yes, but to my knowledge that doesn't matter.  I have read (it's on the Internet so it must be true 😄) that since the Timney trigger is basically a single action one the striker spring doesn't factor in to the trigger weight.  It's essentially set up like a 1911.  The only thing that I think would affect it is the connector, and that's the JG one that was there before.

The striker spring does effect it but very little. Maybe a couple of ounces between the OEM and #4 spring.

I have a #4 spring cut in half for dry fire so it’s less stress on the striker to prevent breakage and it feels maybe 4 ozs lighter than the OEM spring.

Not worth the chance of a light primer strike with such a minimal trigger pull weight change to use a reduced power spring.

1 hour ago, tt350z said:

The striker spring does effect it but very little. Maybe a couple of ounces between the OEM and #4 spring.

I have a #4 spring cut in half for dry fire so it’s less stress on the striker to prevent breakage and it feels maybe 4 ozs lighter than the OEM spring.

Not worth the chance of a light primer strike with such a minimal trigger pull weight change to use a reduced power spring.

Good info.  I'll try the standard striker spring to see if I can tell the difference.  At the least it would allow me to use primers other than Federals.  🙂

The pull weights I posted above are with a Glock "-" connector and a factory striker spring.  I initially tried it with a TTI 3 lbs. spring.  I didn't get any numbers with the gauge.  I then switch to a factory spring and it felt just as good.  It might be a couple of ounces heavier, put I couldn't tell the difference.