Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Timney Glock Alpha Competition trigger

tt350z

4 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, I was wondering what connecter you guys are using with the Timney trigger? I have tried the "-", dot and a Lone Wolf so far. I have a couple more that I will try next week. Thanks, Eric

OEM minus connector.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my Timney Trigger showed up a couple days ago so last night I thought I'd drop it into my G17 Gen 5 and run to the range to try it out.

After two hours of trying to get it to work last night I gave up.

Trigger hardly moves and feels severely bound up. Put the slide on and it completely locked up the gun and had to take the backplate off to get the slide off.

Called Timney support today and they said it's a known issue on about 1/2 the guns having problems and they advised me to bend in the connector which I did (in the vertical video).

Still not even close to working. The bar seems like it almost moves as much sideways as it does backward. Trigger bar only moves back if I completely push the connector in toward the receiver and hold it. 

Any thoughts or do I pack this thing up and get my money back? I'd love it to work but it not even close even after bending the connector pretty hard.

• 2 weeks later...

Sooo...does a reduced power striker spring have any effect on the recoil spring with the timney?   

My 14# reduced recoil spring sort of drags when slowly dropped the slide (like the "recoil spring test"). Would a reduced power striker spring have any effect on this with the timney trigger?

3 hours ago, MarilynMonbro said:

Sooo...does a reduced power striker spring have any effect on the recoil spring with the timney?   

My 14# reduced recoil spring sort of drags when slowly dropped the slide (like the "recoil spring test"). Would a reduced power striker spring have any effect on this with the timney trigger?

Sorry, I'm not entirely clear what you're asking.

On the recoil side, the striker spring is being compressed along with the recoil spring, so the force is the combined force of the two springs.  When the slide moves forward, the striker spring remains compressed (unlike with the regular Glock system) and only the recoil spring pushes the slide.

On 2/25/2021 at 9:11 PM, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

I hadn't thought about the striker spring as part of the recoil system, but you're right, it would retard the slide going back, and partially going forward with a standard Glock trigger.  With the Timney, it would slow the slide more going back and not at all going forward.

Best bet is to experiment and see what works best for your gun and load.

I'm asking about this but I'm sure I worded it wrong.  With a stock trigger and a reduced power recoil spring most people need to use a reduced power striker spring to prevent the slide from going out of battery. For example my new Gen 5 45 with a 14# recoil spring the slide goes out of battery when pulling the trigger.

Will the reduced striker spring have the same affect with the timney trigger?   Or do I need to increase the weight on the reduced power recoil spring ?

Edited by MarilynMonbro

11 minutes ago, MarilynMonbro said:

I'm asking about this but I'm sure I worded it wrong.  With a stock trigger and a reduced power recoil spring most people need to use a reduced power striker spring to prevent the slide from going out of battery. For example my new Gen 5 45 with a 14# recoil spring the slide goes out of battery when pulling the trigger.

Will the reduced striker spring have the same affect with the timney trigger?   Or do I need to increase the weight on the reduced power recoil spring ?

With the Timney trigger, when the trigger is reset the striker spring is fully compressed.  It's essentially like a 1911 single action trigger.  Pulling the trigger doesn't compress the striker spring more, so it shouldn't cause the slide to go out of battery.

I'll have to actually test it to confirm...

1 hour ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

With the Timney trigger, when the trigger is reset the striker spring is fully compressed.  It's essentially like a 1911 single action trigger.  Pulling the trigger doesn't compress the striker spring more, so it shouldn't cause the slide to go out of battery.

Interesting. Thanks for helping me understand

1 hour ago, LowSpeedHighDrag said:

Confirmed.  Pulling the trigger just releases the sear, which releases the already compressed striker spring.  No slide movement on my gen 3 G34.

I tried installing this trigger in a Glock 19 Gen 4 with brownells slide.  It is having a weird delay between the trigger and of the firing pin.  I put it in twice but am not able to get mine to work either.  I emailed them a picture which looks correct.  I ordered it mid April and got it a few weeks ago.  I wish I would have seen all these issues before ordering.

I’m having an issue with mine also. There is a “hitch” when the vertical extension lifts the safety plunger. There was a definite machine line in the extension so I polished it out. So I removed the np3 coating to get rid of the line. However the “hitch” is still there. If I turn the pretravel screw in so that the safety tab is just shy of the frame, I can get rid of the hitch, however my firing pin safety is probably compromised. Anyway I took it out and went back to my old set up, which was still better than the timney. This is on a 34.5. My old setup is a Johnny glock modified oem trigger shoe with pretravel screw. I’m running a 4lb striker spring, with a TTI connector. This gives me a smooth 2.75 lb pull with all safeties intact. The timney would not go below 3lbs. TTI just did a video and he gets them down to 2lbs, so doesn’t johnnyglock, I don’t know how they do that.

From what I just read (Appendix D7, 21.5 and 21.6.) it is not, because the "trigger" is visibly different from the factory original. Am I wrong? 

Edited by thehudge

11 minutes ago, thehudge said:

From what I just read (Appendix D7, 21.5 and 21.6.) it is not, because the "trigger" is visibly different from the factory original. Am I wrong? 

The rules say that internal parts may be modified or replaced, and that external parts "... triggers, ... MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts."

The external part of the trigger looks pretty much like the OEM one; the major changes are internal., and are allowed.

But no, this isn't an official ruling on the Timney, but it seems reasonable.

5 hours ago, thehudge said:

While 21.1 says, "any “internal” modifications which result in a

visible change to the external appearance of the gun when it is in battery REMAIN PROHIBITED unless specifically allowed by the plain language herein.", 21.6 is the "plain language" which specifically allows a trigger replacement. It says, "Sights, firing pins, firing pin retainers, pins, extractors, magazine releases, slide stops, thumb safeties, triggers, hammers, bushings, and ejectors MAY be replaced with OFM or aftermarket parts." The external appearance of a trigger is not a factor in determining whether modification or replacement is allowed.

I think the fact that the word 'may' is capitalized causes some to think it indicates the allowance is conditional. As in, May or May Not. I've always seen it simply as emphasis given that the listed items are permitted. 

In an attempt to remove ambiguity, it may have created some.

YMMV

Wife bought me one for my bday.  Great trigger and I'd say definitely within the 3lb pull with my ghost connector.  All other parts were OEM.  Ran a match with it this weekend using only steel cased ammo just to see how reliable it was.  100% ignition on all the rounds.  I'm sold on it.  Lighter trigger that still can run steel cased ammo.  Heck yeah.

Got another one and will send it to Johnny Glock for his upgrade service.

19 minutes ago, dapribek said:

I just sent 3 Timneys to Johnny to have him work his magic. Very anxious to get them back!

what are you having him do to them?    I am thinking about dabbling in CO a bit and have been completely spoiled by 2011s.  I think the biggest issue I'm having shooting regular guns is the length of the trigger pull. Is he able to shorten it up quite a bit?

I had to send him the Timney triggers, trigger housings and strikers. Besides polishing everything, I believe he’ll be adding pre and post travel adjustments, his own connector and mods to the striker. If you watch his Youtube  videos, the take up is much shorter and the reset is amazing. I’m hoping it’ll up my  game!

14 hours ago, 3gunDMD said:

what are you having him do to them?    I am thinking about dabbling in CO a bit and have been completely spoiled by 2011s.  I think the biggest issue I'm having shooting regular guns is the length of the trigger pull. Is he able to shorten it up quite a bit?

Did you watch his video?  Its pretty short.