Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

30-30 cast load powder 4227 or?

Squirrel45

Looking for what guys are using for 30-30 cast loads in the 150g to 170g range. I'm currently running a 150g w 16.8g of 2400 but I'm afraid that powder is NA for me. I can get imr 4227 anyone using this with a 150 or 170 ? Or something else I should look for ? 

thanks! 

Win 748 is a great all round powder for 30-30. I use it with 150 grains jacketed. 

If you want a subsonic load the issue is case volume. I have used WST at 9 grains and it shot well with coated 150 grain. I purchased some Trail Boss for my subsonic loads because it is the “fluffiest” powder, more volume per weight and loads in multiple traditional cowboy cartridges.

Iv played around with this load over the years just ran out of 2400. You mentioned 748 iv used that quite a bit in 223 w good results. The lyman book shows a 26g to 36g do you think there would be any issues with 26g to 30g ? 

Thanks 

Squirrel

1 hour ago, Squirrel45 said:

do you think there would be any issues with 26g to 30g ? 

No.

Like any load, as long as it is somewhere between min and max it will shoot fine. If you have a Chrono, try the loads at different levels and check for accuracy at your desired distance and what kind of SD you get. Here's a good site discussing using 748: https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/30-30-loads-with-748.785781/

I load 30-30 for my Model 94 and shoot it for fun and not hunting. I've been exploring subsonic loads with coated bullets, which is why I have used WST and Trail Boss. 

4 hours ago, Squirrel45 said:

Iv played around with this load over the years just ran out of 2400. You mentioned 748 iv used that quite a bit in 223 w good results. The lyman book shows a 26g to 36g do you think there would be any issues with 26g to 30g ? 

Thanks 

Squirrel

Squirrel

I never had any trouble with 4895 or 748 with mid weight cast bullets (120-160 grain). Like everything else, I stay in the safe zone and work for accuracy rather than velocity.