Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Appendix Carry for the Big Guys

I wouldn't say I was carrying a 9lb turkey up front, but I am no lean chicken either LOL ... Looking for suggestions regarding appendix carry for those who are a little thicker in the spare tire area.  I am currently looking at a TXC Ally for appendix carry.  From all the reviews and videos I have watched it's one that is big guy friendly 😂😂😂

Thanks

Rick

No one would call me a big guy but I'm definitely not skinny.  You might find you'll have to try a few different holsters before you find one that's more comfortable. 

I started with a sidecar style holster like you're looking at and sold it almost immediately.  I found it inconvenient and uncomfortable in every way.  I have no idea why so many people love that style holster.  If I was going to try another sidecar style holster I'd probably try the actual Trex Sidecar since it doesn't have the hinge.  My theory is that its rigid shape might actually help it conceal without the wings and crap that are necessary on hinged holsters.

After trying a few things I found a simple AIWB holster with a wedge on the back side to be most comfortable.  Then throw on a Snake Eater Tactical IWB mag pouch if I want to carry the extra mag.  Those things should be way more popular than they are.  That set up is a much smaller volume of s#!t stuffed in your waistband.  Your experience may be different though.  I think trying different holsters and getting used to it poking you in new places is just the reality.

13 hours ago, Michael303 said:

After trying a few things I found a simple AIWB holster with a wedge on the back side to be most comfortable.  Then throw on a Snake Eater Tactical IWB mag pouch if I want to carry the extra mag.  Those things should be way more popular than they are.  That set up is a much smaller volume of s#!t stuffed in your waistband.  Your experience may be different though.  I think trying different holsters and getting used to it poking you in new places is just the reality.

I've been thinking about the extra mag ... hmmm ... I'm not saying I am an expert shot, but given where I live I don't think an extra mag would be necessary.  I might need to rethink the extra mag pouch option before I actually buy.  I have several friends who carry appendix with that option, and they say the extra weight of a full 15/17 round magazine is the only negative.  I normally carry OWB higher on my belt with a longer shirt and no extra magazine.  Thanks for your experience :)