Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Debating p320 x5 legion vs glock 34 mos (question on gray guns trigger)

Bunnies4r5

Hey guys so I have been researching what I want to get as my dedicated competition gun and I am narrowed down to the glock 34 mos and the p320 x5 legion. If I go with the glock I'll be spending another 300 for the johnny glock competition trigger with flat face shoe.

The x5 legion seems to be basically good to go right out of the box but many of you here recommend the gray guns trigger for the x5 legion. I was curious if when that trigger is recommended if you mean the entire competition trigger system with springs and sear($150) plus their package that includes polish and installation($99) or if the x5 only needs the adjustable over travel trigger ($89). I assume the x5 legion fcu is already pretty good for competition so is it worth it to pay $150 for the springs and sear and another $99 for polish and instalation or would it be better to just buy the trigger for $89 and use the oem springs and sear which I can install myself?

I have installed the gray guns trigger on my p365xl and done extensive internal work on my glock 19 but glocks are relatively simple if you know what your doing. I don't know if I have the skills to install the whole gray guns competition kit myself but I have just started to research it as a possible option as I was pretty much sold on the glock 34 mos. The install I guess would probably be fine I just worry when polishing that I'll take off too much material. The very first time I polished a glock striker lug face I took off a little too much which compromised the action. It did not have enough engagement to be safe and had to be replaced. I have learned alot since then but it's still on the back of my mind in terms of polishing.

So what do you guys think? X5 legion vs glock 34 mos. How is the oem x5 trigger? If upgrading which gray guns option would you choose? What other advice do you have?

Thanks in advance!

I started with a G34 for carry optics but picked up a Legion last year and added the Gray Guns $150 trigger kit to see what all the fuss is about.  I liked the way the Legion felt in the hands and the trigger was better than the Glock but I felt the higher bore axis took a lot away from the advantages it had over the Glock.  In the end I sold the Legion and went back to the Glock.  On paper I think the Legion is probably the better gun but I think either would be a fine choice though so I'd say pick the one you like to look at more.

Regarding the Glock trigger, I know a lot of people here get wet for the Johnny Glocks trigger and I thought it was really nice for a Glock trigger when I had one but in my opinion a light connector and 4# striker spring is 95% as good and can be had for under 40 bucks.  There's no magic to be unlocked with a Glock trigger and that extra 5% isn't worth $250.  

If you are deciding between the two guns and know your way around a Glock and have been shooting them for some time, then buy another Glock.  Your existing skills will transfer to that faster than learning a new gun with a different grip angle, specifically if you are transitioning to a dot.

This is coming from a Legion owner that has had Robert Burke of TSA install the Gray Guns Competition trigger kit, do his competition trigger job on top of that and then added an Armory Craft dual adjustable trigger and BarSto barrel.   The results:  An accurate striker fired gun with a 1 pound 15 ounce trigger that has very, very little pre-travel and over-travel movement.  Decided to play in CO division after shooting Open division for 20+ years and running raceguns with under 1 pound triggers done by Doug Jones of Acc-U-Rail.  The smaller trigger movement bundled with the Legion's heavier gun weight (with the Springer Precision tungsten guide rod) helped with reduced muzzle rise.

Just remember, it's the indian not the arrow.  

BC

Thanks for the replies guys. I am already proficient with a dot so I am not worried about that part. So I have done a little more research since making this post and installing the gray guns $150 kit does not seem difficult. The stock x5 seems to have a long reset which seems to be the only down side beside the higher bore axis. Does the gray guns kit eliminate that?. The johnny glock competition trigger has a super quick reset. I have his combat trigger in my 19 and even that has a very quick reset, much less travel then my p365xl. I love my p365cx as my edc but I don't know that I would like that long of a reset in competition.

The main thing that got me intrested in the x5 legion was the weight compared to a glock 34. I happen to really like the glock grip angle and know it helps keep the gun flat while shooting. I know the x5 will have a different grip angle and will take some getting use too but I try and make it to the range once a week so I feel like I can get use to it with some practice.

I would say at this time I am leaning more towards the glock 34 but I am still very intrestes in the x5 legion. I believe the x5 would cost me less money when I account for the changes I would make to the 34 trigger.

I will be competing with my glock 19 in the beginning and I am gonna own a glock 34 at somepoint I just am having a hard time deciding if I should go straight to the 34 or by the x5 as my first dedicated comp gun.

I went the 34 route with the Johnny Glock trigger. I added weight to the gun by adding a tungsten guide rod and grip plug. I too prefer the Glock grip angle. I don’t think the 34 would hold you back in the sport at all. Hope that helps. 

6 hours ago, Bunnies4r5 said:

So I have done a little more research since making this post and installing the gray guns $150 kit does not seem difficult.

True, there are YouTube videos on how to do the install.

6 hours ago, Bunnies4r5 said:

The stock x5 seems to have a long reset which seems to be the only down side beside the higher bore axis. Does the gray guns kit eliminate that?

The Gray Guns kit comes with a trigger that has a set screw in it to adjust over travel (trigger travel after the shot breaks).  The trigger must move forward to be reset.  The GG trigger has a shorter reset than the stock trigger but it does not have a pre-travel adjustment screw.  Taking out pre-travel will shorten the reset even further and can be used to customize where you want it to reset.

That said, there are two P320 trigger manufacturers that have both pre-travel and over travel adjustment screws.  The Keres and the Armory Craft.  Armory Craft has both a flat and curved trigger and Keres is veteran owned.

Bruce Gray, owner of Gray Guns posted a response in this thread (page 2, scroll down to the post by grayguns on December 20th) regarding using different triggers than what comes in his kit.

If you have not read it already, there is also some very good information regarding the Legion upgrades for CO in this thread.

BC

Edited by BillChunn

Get the X5. Out of the box it’s ready to go. Add a Gray Guns trigger and talon grips and it’s even better. After that you can spend the rest of the time practicing and not worry about what you can do to make it even better. 

I honestly think the fact their is no tinkering required after you put in a Gray Guns trigger, except playing with recoil springs, allowed me to dedicate most my time to dry fire/live fire vs going to the range to see if the new disconnecter or trigger spring worked. 

Hope that helps. 

Hello: I have both the Sig P320 X5 non legion and a Glock 17 gen 5 MOS. Both are great for carry optics. I would suggest you try a X5 and see if you like shooting it. I have a Gray Guns kit and do my own Glock triggers. I can shoot the Glock quicker and transition faster with it. The Sig has less felt recoil since it has the legion grip and a steel or tungsten guide rod(I have both). With both pistols I prefer 121-135grain bullets. I did have a 34MOS but prefer the 17. So for me in the quest for a best carry optics setup, again for me it is the Glock 17. Lastly I would shoot as many carry optic pistols as you can since you may find something that works better for you. Thanks, Eric

1 hour ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Lastly I would shoot as many carry optic pistols as you can since you may find something that works better for you. Thanks, Eric

^^^^^ Great advice.

You wouldn't buy a car without driving it.  Why would you buy a gun without shooting it?

BC