Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm WAC load with 124-gr RMR JHP

MAC702

The most recent thread that came up on my search parameters was from 2016.  Instead of bumping that old thread with a "check me" post, I'll just drop the question as a new thread specific to these Rocky Mountain Reloading bullets.

I have a Springfield XD(m) 4.5 pistol with a Bar-Sto Match barrel.  The barrel and Open compensator were fitted by Springer Precision.  This compensator needs 9mm Major (or at least a WAC-type powder) to even function the pistol, as I've learned the slow way.

I'm not an Open class shooter yet, but I built this pistol anyway, and would like it function.  If I only shoot steel with it, I don't need to make Major anyway.

In order to get the plunk-and-spin in my barrel, I needed to seat these to OAL 1.086".  This was quite a bit less than the recommended OALs I was seeing in the 2016 thread that showed the typical WAC load for a 124 JHP to be 6.8-7.2 grains of powder.

So I loaded a test round with 6.7 grains of WAC and it fired at 1474 FPS with a slide that locked back on the empty magazine and had no obvious recoil, breech blast, or fired case issues.  That's a PF of 183.

Because of my OAL, should I just load a few more, maybe with even a bit less powder, for more testing, or are there any concerns I should pay greater attention to?

Thanks.

I ran about that exact same load (maybe a tenth different) in my vp9, and I believe my oal was 1.075, maybe 080. 

As for changing the load, if you were to compete with it, you'd want your load to be as close as you can to major, with a small buffer. But if you don't plan on competing, I'd say just find a load that works, and let her eat

Mac, your SD will not live long at 183 PF.  1474 is what a 115 should be travelling to make major.  When loading shorter than the OAL listed in the manual you increase pressure, sometimes by a lot.  If you want to stay with your shorter OAL, reduce you powder charge by a lot and work back up to 170 PF.  Personally, I'd have my barrel throated so I could use a longer OAL.  That will reduce pressures.  Do a search to find out what OALs your XD mags will reliable handle, then have the barrel throated to a little longer than that.  Load a little shorter than the max you mags will handle and you will be good to go. 

IMO, WAC is too fast for major loads in a plastic gun.  One of my shooting buddies shot 9mm major using CFE (essentially the same as WAC) in his M&P.  He went through three sets of frame rails and four cracked comps in two years.  I'd stick to minor loads if you want to use WAC.  If you want to reduce pressure so your gun lives longer, try something like AA7.

if your just shooting steel. run as light a recoil spring as the XD will be reliable with and load just enough powder to get it to run 100%, probably closer to 145ish power factor. 

Major 9 is rough on guns (not a knock on it I have several myself) ALL guns even 2011s don't last as long running 9 major as they do 40 or 9 minor. for steel work your way up to a reliable load and call it good. 

Heck, for steel you don't even need a comp.  My stock (except for trigger job) 4" XD handles 115gr loads at 950 fps with almost no recoil or muzzle rise using the recoil spring that came with it.  It feels like cheating.

4 hours ago, zzt said:

... If you want to reduce pressure so your gun lives longer, try something like AA7.

Man, I have a lot of AA7, too, but I don't think I tried any of that when I was looking into getting this gun reliable last year.  I know it would not cycle factory ammo of any bullet weight, including +P, nor anything I could make safely with typical 9mm powders.

I've no need to make Major for what I'm doing, so I will add that to the experiment list.

My steel challenge load is a 124 gr RN over 5.5 grs WAC. Shot out of a custom 1911 with a 5” STI Trubor TX2 comp and 4 popple holes.

Loaded with an OAL of 1.155” I get a PF of 135.

Loaded with an OAL of 1.1475”, the PF rises to 140.

My 9mm major load is the same 124 gr RN bullet over 6.8 gr of WAC and an OAL of 1.165”.  Out of my DVC Open, the PF is 169.

Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, MAC702 said:

Yes, we've determined it's hot.  Does your Glock have a big compensator?  We are working on 124 JHP loads.

Well excuse me for offering my experience. 

Glock has the SJC 5 port comp, but that probably doesnt matter since you're shooting a XDm with a different comp. 

Edited by HCH

3 hours ago, Hooked said:

My steel challenge load is a 124 gr RN over 5.5 grs WAC. Shot out of a custom 1911 with a 5” STI Trubor TX2 comp and 4 popple holes.

Loaded with an OAL of 1.155” I get a PF of 135.

Loaded with an OAL of 1.1475”, the PF rises to 140.

My 9mm major load is the same 124 gr RN bullet over 6.8 gr of WAC and an OAL of 1.165”.  Out of my DVC Open, the PF is 169.

Hope this helps.

Nice to see some numbers on that PF for OAL change.  I guess these RMR (or maybe any JHP) isn't well-suited to this Bar-Sto match barrel, based on the OAL I need for them.  But maybe I can find a mild load that is safe and effective still.  I've been working on other projects at the moment, but one of the 650s is still set up for this one.