Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Our Gun Club is Looking to Bring in Trainers. How Though?

I'm a member of an indoor gun club in my town and I'd like to talk to the board about bringing in instructors to offer training classes of different disciplines like competition, tactical, etc.

The club hasn't done anything like this in a long time and is a bit gun shy but I think this could be a big benefit to the club and membership.  Considering how many members the club has I'm often there shooting by myself so it seems there's plenty of opportunity to actually use the facility and benefit the membership. 

At this point I just don't know where to start with what the club should be charging as a hosting fee and what the other considerations are.  

If anyone can give me some feedback from either the host club or trainer side of the situation on how these events typically work and what we need to consider to have a safe and positive event it would be greatly appreciated.

3 minutes ago, BJB said:

For competition training, this gent is pretty much local to you and a contributing member of this forum.

https://bigpandaperformance.com/training

I'm actually already coordinating with Charlie to be the first instructor we bring in.  Our club has never done this before though so the board needs to decide how they want to structure host fees and how much they will be but I'm hoping to get an idea of what that range and structure typically looks like so we can make sure to not be an outlier either way and that it's mutually beneficial for the club and any instructor coming in.

My home clubs have a set fee for outside entities to use the facilities.  IE a pistol bay or the rifle range is $50/day with a $50 deposit and proof of insurance with the club as an also covered.  Events are to be scheduled in September when we set the next year’s calendar, but can be added throughout the year subject to facility availability.   We do have a couple instructors on site too that give a discount to club members when doing a class since we have a Non-member use fee in place too. 

The big thing is minimizing the impact on the rest of the membership.  

1 hour ago, Modoc said:

My home clubs have a set fee for outside entities to use the facilities.  IE a pistol bay or the rifle range is $50/day with a $50 deposit and proof of insurance with the club as an also covered.  Events are to be scheduled in September when we set the next year’s calendar, but can be added throughout the year subject to facility availability.   We do have a couple instructors on site too that give a discount to club members when doing a class since we have a Non-member use fee in place too. 

The big thing is minimizing the impact on the rest of the membership.  

Thanks for the info.  50/day sounds really inexpensive.  Is it an outdoor range with a lot of bays?  Minimizing member impact is a priority for us too.  We're an indoor pistol club with just two bays so at least one needs to be open at any time but this shouldn't be a big challenge since we shut one range down for USPSA and IDPA matches four times a month among other activities.

We have outdoor ranges.  Special events need to provide their own RSOs and range masters, if the club provides them it is an extra fee. One club has 3 large shooting areas while the other has 7 bays and a 15 bench rifle line.