Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pulling 9 mm rounds ?

TANFARM

I have a large quantity of 9 mm rounds that I need to pull. I also have 2 Lee single stage presses.

is there any puller attachment available to speed up the process?

I have a Hornady cam puller , but it says it’s for rifle rounds only?

Thanks in advance......

15 hours ago, echotango said:

I also have the Hornady and use is all the time for 9mm. I have it on a single stage on its own bench. 

This.

Just get the 9mm collett. Picked a couple up at Midway a week or so ago. I have the same problem. A whole ammo can full of 9mm rounds I collected over the years. Why waste them. Been pulling them and running thru my 650 with the decapper out of the first die to make sure they are sized.

gerritm

kinetic (hammer type) puller . Replace the collet with a shell holder. All components will be reusable. 

Have the RCBS it will in most cases damage the bullet. You will need the 35 cal  collet.

Received my 9 mm Hornady collet yesterday and set it up on my single stage Lee press.

It did take some fine tuning....watched a couple of Youboob videos..helped.

Overall very happy...worked on 90% of my rounds....beats the hell out of Mr Plastic Hammer for volume.

thanks to all .........

On 2/3/2021 at 6:20 AM, gerritm said:

Mine doesn't seem to work well on some coated bullets especially if they are loaded with a shorter OAL 

gerritm

The collet bullet puller are useless on coated bullets. On Hi-Tek coated bullets anyway, the coating is so slick that you ruin the bullet for reuse if you tighten the collet enough to allow the bullet to be pulled. I had about 250 .380 coated bullets to pull and had to wind up using the hammer type puller. I wasn't going to waste 250 bullets to this is taking some time, I pull a few every so many days and eventually I'll be done. Collet pullers work great on FMJ bullets especially long rifle bullets. 

8 hours ago, Darrell said:

The collet bullet puller are useless on coated bullets. On Hi-Tek coated bullets anyway, the coating is so slick that you ruin the bullet for reuse if you tighten the collet enough to allow the bullet to be pulled. I had about 250 .380 coated bullets to pull and had to wind up using the hammer type puller. I wasn't going to waste 250 bullets to this is taking some time, I pull a few every so many days and eventually I'll be done. Collet pullers work great on FMJ bullets especially long rifle bullets. 

I have been throwing the coated ones in a bucket to use the hammer type with those. I generally don't re-use the bullets anyways. I have plenty of new, just can't waste the primers/case. Same here with pulling some every few days. 

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

On 2/5/2021 at 6:07 AM, gerritm said:

I have been throwing the coated ones in a bucket to use the hammer type with those. I generally don't re-use the bullets anyways. I have plenty of new, just can't waste the primers/case. Same here with pulling some every few days. 

gerritm

If they are coated bullets, and all you want are the brass and the primers, then it's a lot quicker just to run the rounds through the sizing die with the decapping pin removed, the brass spring back out but not the lead bullets, I did that and I could just pull the bullets out by hands, it's a lot quicker and a lot less messy.

Edited by Vmax606

On 1/24/2021 at 2:31 PM, TANFARM said:

I have a large quantity of 9 mm rounds that I need to pull. I also have 2 Lee single stage presses.

is there any puller attachment available to speed up the process?

I have a Hornady cam puller , but it says it’s for rifle rounds only?

Thanks in advance......

I have the cam lock bullet puller and I pull 9mm and 45 all day.  just get the right size collet

I have the Frankford Arsenal Pile Driver bullet puller. It's wall mounted and makes quite a bit of noise when it fires but it's one shot for 9mm, you can attach a tube on it also to collect components if you are doing a large amount, or it has a catch bin with a large foam pad for single rounds. I never pulled rounds because of the hassle before I got it.

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/reloading-tools/presses-and-tools/bullet-pullers/pile-driver-bullet-puller/1116083.html