Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Bar Moving Slide Out Of Battery

apoc4lypse

Has anyone else experienced a problem where pulling the trigger causes the slide to move backward and slightly out of battery?  This happens occasionally with my Q5 Poly. 

I think the part of the trigger bar that rides against the inside edge of the slide is catching on a burr or something and causing it to move the slide backward.  Either that, or the FPB isn't pushing upward when it should, and by hanging up it's causing the backward travel.

I don't believe it's striker related as I replaced the striker with a new one and the problem persisted.  This seems to happen even when the striker isn't cocked.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2021 at 3:09 PM, edison said:

On a glock, this happens because your striker spring is too strong, and/or your recoil spring is too weak -- It's out of balance.

That is true; since the Glock trigger bar completes the cocking function when pressing the trigger...they are all connected.

I don't believe that relationship exists with the Q5, which fully cocks upon full return to battery... independent of any action of the trigger bar.  Spring relationships do effect full return to battery, however.

(Just an opinion; experts please set me straight.)

On 1/24/2021 at 2:23 AM, apoc4lypse said:

Has anyone else experienced a problem where pulling the trigger causes the slide to move backward and slightly out of battery?  This happens occasionally with my Q5 Poly. 

I think the part of the trigger bar that rides against the inside edge of the slide is catching on a burr or something and causing it to move the slide backward.  Either that, or the FPB isn't pushing upward when it should, and by hanging up it's causing the backward travel.

I don't believe it's striker related as I replaced the striker with a new one and the problem persisted.  This seems to happen even when the striker isn't cocked.

I was thinking you could remove the striker block and test(dry fire) the gun to see if the slide moves to the rear.  If there is a burr in the hole where the striker block travels it may be causing some resistance.

^^^Don't know, but sounds reasonable, especially if it's a high round count gun.

Just re-read the OP; it's a Poly and I have no experience with those (they're the same, I suspect).  On my SF, I use a dab of grease where the OP mentions on the slide, and where the Dynamic trigger bar protrusion rides on the SF...no problems.  Hope the OP has resolved the issue.

3 hours ago, sx2gl35 said:

^^^Don't know, but sounds reasonable, especially if it's a high round count gun.

Just re-read the OP; it's a Poly and I have no experience with those (they're the same, I suspect).  On my SF, I use a dab of grease where the OP mentions on the slide, and where the Dynamic trigger bar protrusion rides on the SF...no problems.  Hope the OP has resolved the issue.

I actually polish the trigger bar and the firing pin block(All surfaces).  Makes a difference