Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red hill tactical comp holster + boss stoeger BOSS hanger screw question

Bunnies4r5

Hey guys,

I have recently ordered all the gear I need to start competing this summer and had a quick question I was hoping someone may know the answer to while I am waiting for it all to arrive.

So I ordered the red hill tactical comp holster with no mount and then the boss hanger from boss stoeger. Red hill told me the screws they include are too short to mount to the boss hanger. Does anyone know what size screws will be long enough and also fit in the screw retainers from red hill and what thread pitch? 

When I emailed boss about it they said because Redhill uses 2 layers of kydex the holster may be too thick for the screws they supply. They said they would reach out to me on Monday and see if they have longer screws they can mail me. I just don't know how they would know if there screws would fit the retainers that come with the holster as the pictures of the boss hanger on there website makes it look like you use their screws but the retainers that come with the holster, I don't think they supply the retainers judging by the photos and install video but I could be wrong.

I figured if I could figure out the size and thread pitch I need I could just go to home depot instead of waiting on them to mail me the right size but I may just have to wait on them

• 2 months later...
On 1/22/2021 at 10:20 PM, mveto said:

I believe the BOSS hanger comes with the correct screws to mount the plate to the holster, at least that’s how I remember it with the one I have.

Thought I'd give some feedback on an older thread as I just purchased this combo and had problems with the mounting hardware...........

Production rig for CZ Shadow2 consisting of Red Hill Tactical Competition holster, Boss Hanger, Shooter's Connection belt combo, and Ghost 360s pouches.  Once I got everything in from Shooter's Connection, I ran into post nuts that came with the RH holster were way oversized (OD) for the Boss Y-Plate hanger.  Talked to owner of RHT, and he thought, since he claims every holster maker uses the same hardware, I had a y-plate that had not had the final hole size reamed correctly.

Got the Starrett digital calipers out and measured the OD of the post nuts which averaged .208" while the ID of the Y-Plate holster mounting holes measured .201".  Called Ben Stoger Pro Shop and the tech said RHT was using the wrong mounting hardware and that yes, the ID of the y-plate holes was .200"-.201".

Note:   Both the RHT Competition holster and the Boss Hanger supplies 8-32 x 1/4" screws to mount a holster.  Only RHT supplied the post nuts which were threaded 8-32 with a 1/4" long post.  The issue I had was to correctly mount the RHT holster to the Boss Hanger, the post nuts must pass through the holster AND the y-plate in order to get a secure mounting of the two items.

After a second call back to Shooter's Connection, a Tech by the name of Ryan, had found some 8-32" post nuts that averaged .196" - .197" OD, and he was putting me 3 of these in the first class mail to go out that day.  BTW, he provided EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE throughout the whole ordeal!

Couple of days later I received the post nuts from Ryan, and sure enough, they easily fit into the holes of the Y-Plate for holster mounting.  One thing I think important, these post nuts had a post length of 3/16" with 8-32 threads.  So I decided, since the OEM screws were only 1/4" long, to run up to Tractor Supply and pick up a 5 pack of Hillman stainless steel 8-32x3/16" machine screws.  Same screw brand that Lowe's offers.  A touch of blue Loctite for added measure, and this combo worked perfectly with the new post nuts!  IMO, the 3/16" screws provided a bit of extra thread engagement.

Hope this helps someone considering the holster/hanger combination!

👍

• 9 months later...

Correction after the post was made:

After a second call back to Shooter's Connection, a Tech by the name of Ryan, had found some 8-32" post nuts that averaged .196" - .197" OD, and he was putting me 3 of these in the first class mail to go out that day.  BTW, he provided EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE throughout the whole ordeal!

Couple of days later I received the post nuts from Ryan, and sure enough, they easily fit into the holes of the Y-Plate for holster mounting.  One thing I think important, these post nuts had a post length of 3/8" with 8-32 threads.  So I decided, since the OEM screws were only 1/4" long, to run up to Tractor Supply and pick up a 5 pack of Hillman stainless steel 8-32x3/8" machine screws.  Same screw brand that Lowe's offers.  A touch of blue Loctite for added measure, and this combo worked perfectly with the new post nuts!  IMO, the 3/8" screws provided a bit of extra thread engagement.

Hope this helps someone considering the holster/hanger combination!

FYI:  Amazon has the correct 3/8" binding posts (along with screws) if anyone is needing these............

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y4RPBQ2/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

👍

Edited by HOGRIDER
sp