Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

140gr FP Fails to Feed in Glock 24...

Bimmer

Long story short:  I've been shooting and reloading for decades.  I like to think I know what I'm doing...

Recently the stars aligned so that I'm loading 140gr flat points (FP) over 5.0gr. of Unique in .40S&W loaded 1.120" or so. 

Problem:  I'm having intermittent failures to feed.  (See photo). 

This happens once or twice per mag. 

It's not the mag doesn't matter:  old, new, whatever, I get a misfeed or two per mag. 

It's not the reloads:  The same cartridges run fine in my Glock 22 (full-size). 

It's not the gun:  The new longslide 24 ate my older reloads (155gr and 170gr SWCs) just fine. 

I've tried an OEM recoil spring (17lbs) as well as 13lbs and 11lbs Jager springs:  Same problem. 

If there's a pattern, then it seems to happen when the mags are full (and spring tension is high). 

I'm stuck.  All that I can think to do is load them a bit longer...  I can't go any shorter, because the bearing surface of the bullet is barely protruding from the case. 

I would've thought that 1.120" would be OK (not too short), because the factory FMJ ammo that I have is about the same length, and the bullet profile is similar. 

Other ideas?!

G24 Failure-to-Feed.jpg

All you can do is try loading longer. Plunk at maximum length and shorten by .015 and if the fit the mag give them a test. Your photo looks like the round is at a pretty extreme angle. It’s like it’s not sliding up the breech face under the extractor. Maybe a burr somewhere?

Believe it or not it's probably the profile of the flat nose. I had some HPs which had to be loaded really long to prevent the occasional misfeed like that to go away. I was limited by the magazine to 1.15, chamber was not an issue in a Tanfo Limited. I also switched to 10mm mags to handle the length.

Edited by HesedTech