Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag reloads - weighted vs empty

Stafford

I seem to screw up when practicing reloads in dry fire. Usually hitting the mag on one side or the other. But, in matches, I seem to do ok. Not great, but better than in dry fire. I’ve previously practiced reloads with empty mags. 

Today, I loaded up a couple of mags to about 3/4 and topped them off with snap caps. The added weight really made the difference. I was able to guide the mag in place nearly every time without issue. I think the weight will allow me be more consistent in practice and improve speed. 

If I can give my experience here.  I used to only do them weighted. I still do them that way most but I will use completely empty mags a little here and there. 

So, I think when we first start out we really just try to kinda throw the mag in the gun rather than have the process down and focus on getting the mag in there the right way on the first attempt.  Now, I know I can actually process(as in processing information) the steps it takes, in real time, to get the mag in the gun. It's a matter of being able to see or process more information faster.  This is the same thing as when you first start out and just getting hits on the target is a challenge because you're being bombarded by all the information your senses are receiving. Think driving a car for the first time. How there was just too much going on. Now, for most people it's not nearly as consciously tasking. 

So, what the empty mag, or a mag that's weighted differently does, is it makes you be more aware of the steps it takes to get the mag into the mag well. 

You might try this a little and see if it makes you more aware of what's going on. I'd recommend not using any par time. Just try to reload the gun at match speed. 

Hope this helps.