Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frankford Arsenal FX-10 progressive press


Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, 18111811 said:

Maybe this will force Dillon to figure out how to retrofit the 750 to swage with a factory option.

Won't happen, you would have to redesign the entire press. With the design of the 650/750 you can not hold the brass down to swage it. The add on 'Swage-its' only hold the brass by the rim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/26/2021 at 9:57 AM, BiknSwans said:

Thanks!  Is there a way to view this video in landscape mode?  I couldn't figure it out on Safari or Firefox.

¿¡¿ ǝɯ oʇ ǝuᴉɟ sʞoo˥ ¿sǝƃɐɯᴉ ǝɥʇ ɥʇᴉʍ ƃuoɹʍ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos ǝɹǝɥʇ sI

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Tom S. said:

¿¡¿ ǝɯ oʇ ǝuᴉɟ sʞoo˥ ¿sǝƃɐɯᴉ ǝɥʇ ɥʇᴉʍ ƃuoɹʍ ƃuᴉɥʇǝɯos ǝɹǝɥʇ sI

 

beats my "backwards is zen"

 

I quoted to see how you did it.   and saw nuttin'

 

miranda

Link to post
Share on other sites

This looks like a promising press. 

I don't get the doubt about it being reliable because of the price point, the Hornady LnL (while far from the best press) is good enough for those getting started out. The FX-10 costs more, but offers more. If designed right, it should be every bit as reliable as a LnL. 

If it meets that bar, Im in. 

 

To be honest, Im probably going to order one as soon as it is available either way. I want an extra position or two over what I have on my LnL. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2021 at 8:32 PM, Intheshaw1 said:

A cast version of the Evo has been rumored for a while to compete in price with the 1100 but with the $300 in price increases, dillon is already closing the gap. And I would assume Dillon kept pretty much the same tool head to allow people to use their old stuff. I would have preferred them keeping the 1050 and launching a whole new press with 10 stations, would have gotten that in a heartbeat. 

 

And if the new Evo primer system comes out and works as advertised and keeps the press roughly the same price, I think a lot more people will skip to the Evo.

The primming system looks promising and correct at that point why purchase the Evo... I think they're gonna do away with the Evo all together it makes absolutely no sense to keep 2 press options for the same price...  More than likely people are going to go with the Apex 10.. I would! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, chgofirefighter said:

The primming system looks promising and correct at that point why purchase the Evo... I think they're gonna do away with the Evo all together it makes absolutely no sense to keep 2 press options for the same price...  More than likely people are going to go with the Apex 10.. I would! 

Yeah, just wish with the apex 10 being cast the price would be lower than the Evo but oh well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chgofirefighter said:

Like I said, maybe Mark7 will do away with the Evo all togethere... But who knows 

They are doing away with the Evo in the US, apex 10 is priced exactly the same as the Evo. Looks a few threads down, it's being talked about. Evo is staying around internationally from the sounds of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I find myself interested in this unit... seems like a real upgrade from my LNL, but man my only interaction with FA service was over my dead vibraprime... and it took them more than 2 months to even respond to my inquiry. 

 

Has anyone else actually used FA's service and support before and had better luck? Maybe they just blew me off because it was just a vibraprime?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep Dillon isn't that innovative or market sensitive as others. They are the trusty old geezer with warranty, but might die away when competition starts to be lightyears ahead. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks promising ....but too many unanswered questions.  How reliable will it be?  What type of support will they offer? Are they going to nickle and dime you to death?  ETC.  Until then, I'll stick with my 650.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kema said:

Yep Dillon isn't that innovative or market sensitive as others. They are the trusty old geezer with warranty, but might die away when competition starts to be lightyears ahead. 

 

the competition only needs to be clearly better...

buuuuuuut Dillon's engineering is rather good.

If you consider the 650 shift to 750 you may see that

Dillon was not ignoring the primer explosions. 

I'd say it seems they were looking for a solution that was reasonable.

To put it another way, one that worked well and did not cost a fortune.

you know... clearly better.

 

To carry this a little further...

I do not think Dillon's powder measure is clearly better than Lee's auto drum.

as Lee is the most likely outfit to off Dillon...

To do that Lee has to get past the idea that 98percent reliable is good enough.

 

my vision for Dillon's next 650 replacement is a 6 hole, dies drop style,

so swaging, powder check, and bullet feeding are easier.

 

miranda

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 1:58 PM, Miranda said:

my vision for Dillon's next 650 replacement is a 6 hole, dies drop style,

so swaging, powder check, and bullet feeding are easier.

Isn't this basically a 1050/1100

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, AHI said:

Isn't this basically a 1050/1100

 

looks to me like 8...  there are 6 threaded positions and a pair of holes.

 

buuuut they could drop the price...

 

miranda

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2021 at 4:06 PM, jtaylor996 said:

I find myself interested in this unit... seems like a real upgrade from my LNL, but man my only interaction with FA service was over my dead vibraprime... and it took them more than 2 months to even respond to my inquiry. 

 

Has anyone else actually used FA's service and support before and had better luck? Maybe they just blew me off because it was just a vibraprime?

I purchased a hand deprimer from Midway, when it arrived it looked to be a return that they then sent to me, missing and broken small bits.  I called FA and they sent all the small parts within a week, so maybe I just got lucky with the right person but it went very well.

Edited by Tunachaser
Grammer
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Miranda said:

looks to me like 8...  there are 6 threaded positions and a pair of holes.

 

Perhaps I misunderstood, but it looks to me like 10. Per their website, the FX-10 has a "proprietary 10 station, gear driven, rotating shell plate".

 

I watched the video and took notes.  There are 9 threaded positions and 1 case feed position, just like my Mark 7 Evolution.  In the video, the press was set up like this:

 

    0.   Case feed

    1.    Decap #1
    2.    Decap #2
    3.    Swage
    4.    Prime and neck expander
    5.    Open
    6.    Powder measure
    7.    Powder check
    8.    Bullet drop and bullet seat
    9.    Crimp
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BiknSwans said:

 

 

Hi Biknswan,

I quoted sos you'd be notified...

 

the thread kinda devolved into some wishful thinking.

I was speaking of the dillon 1050 and 1100 having 8 stations.

 

the upcoming frankford press has 10 positions, as you noted.

 

miranda

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2021 at 6:41 PM, Sigarmsp226 said:

I will wait for Dillon to release their RL1200 - ten station system.... 

Hmmm, Dillon is releasing a ten station system?  🤨 Ammobot was purchased by Dillon and they have yet to release anything meanwhile everyone else is surpassing them.  Love Dillon brand don't get me wrong but they could do a lot, lot better.  Luckily for them Dillon has loyal followers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Miranda said:

Hi Biknswan,

I quoted sos you'd be notified...

 

the thread kinda devolved into some wishful thinking.

I was speaking of the dillon 1050 and 1100 having 8 stations.

 

the upcoming frankford press has 10 positions, as you noted.

 

miranda

 

Got it.  I knew down deep that I had misunderstood.  I looked back at the posts, and I see where I went wrong.

 

Sorry for the hassle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dillon still has the made in USA credit going for them.  I will typically be happy to pay a 50% premium for that alone, though in this case it seems like its going to be 200-300% so I would have they really need to keep up with the innovation. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...