Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G17.5 MOS recoil spring weight

Tnbb33

Depends on your load and how you like the gun to act in recoil. For my load and what I like to see in recoil a 14lb wolff seems to work, I might try a 13lb or 12lb sometime in the future.

Please remember that the Recoil Spring Assembly is slightly longer in a Gen5 than a 2/3/4.  A spring designed around the dimensions of the Gen3 or Gen 4 length will exert less pressure than one designed for the 5.  That being said, expect to run "one increment higher" than you ordinarily would, i.e. using a 13# where an 11# felt great in your old gun.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would say 11 with 147 grain or heavier but keep an eye on the spring balance between the striker and recoil spring. With an 11, you have a slightly higher chance of fail to return to batter on unloaded starts if you don't do a clean rack.  Additionally, 11 is about the practical limit to how light you can go with the platform.  11lbs recoil with a 4 or lighter striker spring should be fine.