Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

grade my homework - first batch of handloads

davsco

so these are the first handloads i've put together, trying to work up to a major power factor uspsa load for my 5" sti edge.  i shot these at 22 yds with hands braced against a doorway.  all the same OAL and using blue bullets 180s.  i measured powder precisely via an electronic trickler/scale and am a bit surprised by the fps variations within each powder charge.  not sure how readable the pic is, i used e3 for the first 6 and then titegroup for the last 3.  also surprised by the group size variations, some were pretty nice and some are huge and i felt like the shots were all good, again braced.

any insight on the groups and velocities/es/sd?  or anything else?  thanks!

40 reload groups.jpg

Edited by davsco

I just ran into a similar problem on my 9. Had worked up a load with mixed brass that shot really good and was at 1025 with a es of around 8 or so. Just practice rounds and that’s what I wanted. Had some prepped Fed brass ready to go so loaded up 5 to double check and everything went to pot! Loaded on same press, hand trickled each one same everything. Group was about 4”+, cases were sooty, and it felt/sounded like I had varied the load in each one by .5 grain. Was also using E3. The es was also close to 80! WTF? Went back to bench and loaded up 5 more and double checked everything. The Fed brass was a little thinner and just a little shorter than the many times loaded test brass I was using. I’ll probably get flamed for this but, I didn’t have enough Crimp. I like to measure right at the case mouth and have around .001 crimp over what is measured about .060 or so below. The bad rounds were just barely crimped against the bullet. Now that being said I also chamfer the insides of the mouths with a 40 degree tool to Just remove that sharp ring that cuts into the bullet coating. Personally I feel this lets you crimp a bit more without bullet damage. Oh yeh, the properly crimped rounds grouped into about 1.25” and the es was back to around 10. I’ve also found similar results with my 10mm. Although yours doesn’t exhibit as much of a vel swing, it may just be something to think about and maybe try. 

Edited by Farmer
Sp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think you're past where you need to be for the average gun game. At 10 yards, those all probably poke out close to the same hole. 

Individually dispensing powder is ok for a rifle, but you'll want to throw with a bulk dispenser. 40 is nice because you can be under max with safe charges and still be well into major, so auto dispensers are very viable options.