Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen 5 Slide Wear

hermes_actual

I've had my G34.5 since March (10 months). I've had quite a bit of slide wear compared to my prior CO gun (G19.5) which looks essentially new. I dry fire almost daily and live fire at least once weekly. The holster has been set to zero retention since day one. Granted, the holsters were different. I've just gotten a second 34.5 and would like to avoid this happening again. Anyone else experienced this?

IMG_7925.JPG

IMG_7926.JPG

Yeah, unfortunately that's what happens when kydex makers don't allow for enough room for the slide.

If I were you, I'd be buying a bladetech  and emailing GX to let him know he might want to tape his mold guns up a bit more. 

Edited by reverse_edge

Just now, reverse_edge said:

Yeah, unfortunately thats what happens when kydex makers don't allow for enough room for the slide.

I'd be buying a bladetech (or other known-good kydex makers) and emailing GX to let him know he might want to tape his mold guns up a bit more. 

Agreed.  The kydex is just too tight so if you don't want the same thing you can't use the same holster.  

Yeah, pretty funny they market their Gen. 5 guns as having DLC finish.  My SV with DLC is 5+ years old and 70k rounds through it, and doesn't have a mark on it.  My three month old Glock 17/5 has wear marks just from normal handling.  So, not sure what the finish is, but it's definitely not DLC.  On the plus side, people pay a lot of money for worn Cerakote finishes to mimic that look.  So, it may not be to your liking, but I'm sure it'll be popular with the tacticool crowd.

Edited by ltdmstr

Hello: kinda looks like ceracoat that is worn off. I think DLC means different things to different companies. Tenifer coating is much better and stronger but is not evo friendly. You could mod your holster by wrapping it in 5 layers of tape and inserting it into the holster and use a heat gun to mod the holster to fit. Or just leave it like it is and be a badass! Thanks, Eric

11 minutes ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: kinda looks like ceracoat that is worn off. I think DLC means different things to different companies. Tenifer coating is much better and stronger but is not evo friendly. You could mod your holster by wrapping it in 5 layers of tape and inserting it into the holster and use a heat gun to mod the holster to fit. Or just leave it like it is and be a badass! Thanks, Eric

I've had it since new, so not ceracoat. I reached out to GX in October and he agreed it was unusual. I adjusted the lower retention screw per his recommendation although the gun was pretty much rattling around when unlocked already. The wear has progressed, thus my post here. After hearing the feedback here, I contacted him again today. I'll report back. Thanks for all the advice so far.

Edited by hermes_actual

11 minutes ago, hermes_actual said:

I've had it since new, so not ceracoat. I reached out to GX in October and he agreed it was unusual. I adjusted the lower retention screw per his recommendation although the gun was pretty much rattling around when unlocked already. The wear has progressed, thus my post here. After hearing the feedback here, I contacted him again today. I'll report back. Thanks for all the advice so far.

Your pistol might look bad but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the slide as far as its durability or corrosion resistance.

PM if you want more details.  I'm tired of explaining this in open forums only to be argued with by people who know nothing about the subject.

As Schultz alluded to, it's cosmetic and not going to make a difference in terms of the protection offered by the treatment they're using.  But as far as the cosmetics go, the holster isn't the problem.  It's the durability of the top coat, for lack of a better term.  And there's really not much you can do about that other than refinish it with something more durable.

48 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

As Schultz alluded to, it's cosmetic and not going to make a difference in terms of the protection offered by the treatment they're using.  But as far as the cosmetics go, the holster isn't the problem.  It's the durability of the top coat, for lack of a better term.  And there's really not much you can do about that other than refinish it with something more durable.

Thanks. I don't think the holster can be completely exonerated. As mentioned, I've put a G19.5 through more use with no visible wear with a different holster and MORE retention. What would be a better finish? Black nitride?

Gen 5 Glocks are nDLC finished. The slides are nitride treated and then the black DLC coating is applied on top of that. So even if the DLC wears off, the steel still has the nitride treatment so still has the corrosion resistance as mentioned.

From what I've seen it's pretty common for the Gen 5s to have faster and worse finish wear than prior generations. 

I've had my 34.5 for 2 years now with now obvious wear marks but my kydex holster is pretty loose around the slide. I would put a piece of blue painters tape on both sides of your slide and see how tight it is in the holster. If that's not tight, maybe contact glock and see what's up? They have good customer service so maybe they can hook you up.

If not, head over to one of those tacticool forums and sell it for 3x the cost for the battle worn finish. 

From what I've been told, nDLC can't be re-applied, so a "factory re-finish" isn't an option.  The slide undergoes two heating cycles in the process to apply the coating.  Exposing it to two more cycles could cause brittleness in the slide, something which is understandably unacceptable.  As I hear, they won't even refinish cosmetic blems at the factory.  They just get culled in the Quality Assurance process.

Use a different holster buy my old match glocks look pretty worn. Hasn’t caused any issues other than looking like they get used. If you’re dry firing and using them wear is hard to avoid. Maybe just use it as a bbq gun and avoid the wear? 

• 8 months later...

Having used true DLC coating (calico)  for wrist pins and valves the glock dlc is nothing like normal race use dlc, there is no way what we use would EVER wear off rubbing on kydex  Like stated above you get the real thing its going to look new basically forever

Edited by Sinister4