Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NAA Mini Revolver Pics

Rudukai13

Who’s got one? Post ‘em if you got ‘em!

I’ve got a limited edition Pug in lockup at my FFL right now, waiting for the backlog of NICS checks to cycle through. I have some modifications I want to make to it, but for the most part I intend for it to just be a fun range toy and conversation piece:

2138DB32-DCAD-48B7-94A6-C15142708716.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, matteekay said:

I can join this club now!

NAA Sidewinder in .22 Mag:

50920682336_732dd9cdfe_b.jpg

Nice! How do you like the ejection system? I was considering the Sidewinder or Ranger 2 but wasn’t sure they would be mechanically functional with how I wanted to modify it, and the case-hardened Pug was just too nice to pass up

Shot the Sidewinder last night! I'd replaced the grips with rubber Hogues and that made it way more controllable.

A few thoughts:

• Less poppy than I would have thought. To be fair, I'd just finished a USPSA match where I'd been shooting a .40 S&W revolver, so my palm was slightly numb...
  • Easier to shoot one-handed than with both
  • The front sight is really just a suggestion. I was using a half-sized silhouette at 7 yards and I could land all of my shots center-left, but only by aiming at the right edge. It would be viable as a last-ditch / contact-type weapon, though
  • The swing-out cylinder is a poor design. Usually the cases have expanded enough that pushing the ejector actually pushes the cylinder back on the crane rather than knocking the cases loose. I wound up holding the grip to my chest and using the .22 WMR box to push the ejector in.
  • It's a lot of fun

I'd consider carrying it as a backup or in a "literally nothing else will work" scenario. It's more compact than a second moonclip for my Rhino...

28 minutes ago, Chillywig said:

I really want a NAA ranger in 22LR for some reason....

I really thought I wanted one in 22 LR too, until I checked out the ballistics...  https://northamericanarms.com/ballistics/

None of these are very impressive, but the 22 LR and 22 Short are both... well, sad! 

I found a used one in 22 MAG with a 1-5/8" barrel and a Holster Grip for a good price, and satisfied my itch for a NAA.  LOL!  

I admit that it would be a very bad day if I ever had to even consider using any of these for defense...  So, perhaps the ballistics are moot!  

Still, I like it!  

IMG_5009.jpg

6 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

I admit that it would be a very bad day if I ever had to even consider using any of these for defense...  So, perhaps the ballistics are moot!  

True... though I'd rather shoot it than be shot by it.

2 hours ago, Chillywig said:

I really want a NAA ranger in 22LR for some reason....

They make the Ranger II with 22LR conversion cylinders:

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-22mc-btii/

If it weren’t for my other plans for modifying it, I likely would’ve purchased the R2 instead of the Pug. But it wouldn’t be compatible with the custom grips I’m getting

• 2 months later...

A club I can join. Mine is in .22 magnum. Ported (not really sure why) with a big white dot front sight.

It's a hoot to shoot. Not a quick reloader, of course. Totally fun. And absolutely tiny for those times you want to carry more than rocks in your pocket.

20210425_152447.thumb.jpg.ab37ee1bcdbdcd0ff98582700de152ba.jpg

On 4/25/2021 at 1:28 PM, tbarker13 said:

A club I can join. Mine is in .22 magnum. Ported (not really sure why) with a big white dot front sight.

It's a hoot to shoot. Not a quick reloader, of course. Totally fun. And absolutely tiny for those times you want to carry more than rocks in your pocket.

20210425_152447.thumb.jpg.ab37ee1bcdbdcd0ff98582700de152ba.jpg

I never really understood the ported models either, seems to mostly be a gimmick to me. Although I admittedly haven’t shot both and compared

15 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

I never really understood the ported models either, seems to mostly be a gimmick to me. Although I admittedly haven’t shot both and compared

I didn't notice it doing anything. But, as you said, I haven't shot a non-ported model either.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...