Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 Evolution Pre Purchase Questions

I'm considering upgrading from my RL1100 to a Mk7 Evo.  I managed to get what I'm assuming is an overcharge or double charge this weekend (that was fun) so my primary interest is the additional stations that will allow me to add a powder check to my current die setup.  I figure now would be a good time to move the 1100 since I'll hopefully be able to get back most if not all of my investment.

I have an extra Dillon powder drop that I use to switch quickly between powders.  Is there any reason I can't or shouldn't use it on the Evo for the same function?

My current die setup in the 1100 is a Lee U, Lyman M, DAA bullet dropper, Redding micrometer seating, Lee FCD.  Is there any reason not to just transfer this setup to the Evo?  I'm not unhappy with this setup but with the addition of a powder check I'll still have an open station.

I currently only load 9mm but I'm interested in doing 300blk and maybe 223/556.  With the 300blk, is it currently or will it eventually be possible to trim and load 300blk (from 223 brass) in one pass?  Or is that too ambitious?

Can any of the safety check sensors be utilized without the Autodrive?  

Edited by Michael303
Added another question

I run my Evo w/ auto drive with this set up.

9mm set up

FW Arms Decap

Hold in swage station (w/swage/ringer detector)

Size die (no decayer) to hold down the priming station

Lyman M die for neck flare (seems most minimal flare to get bullets fed)

Powder drop

Powder check (digital)

bullet feeder

Redding micro Bullet seater

Bullet crimp

I have not tried the one pass loading... especially with trimming... I prefer to clean my brass prior to reloading. It is a lot easier with auto drive to make a second pass

You will need the offset tool head for trimming 300 BLK. 

I also bought the second guide rod for doing 223/300 ...seems to stabilize the toolhead a little better. 

Oh yeah, your last question. 

You cannot use the digital sensors without an auto drive. There would be no where to plug them in. 

I used a DAA magnetic powder sensor on mine before I got the auto drive. 

Once I got the auto drive, I use a swage sensor, powder check, and bullet sense. 

Not only do I use the Dillon Powder drops without any issues I don’t use the safety rod. I use a double return spring I also prefer the Dillon case feeder, just my preference.

48 minutes ago, tmz said:

Not only do I use the Dillon Powder drops without any issues I don’t use the safety rod. I use a double return spring I also prefer the Dillon case feeder, just my preference.

Such a cool set up!

2 hours ago, tmz said:

I actually read through your thread the other day when I was looking for some info on ditching the Dillon powder safety rod for the spring setup.  Great stuff.  I'm going to give it a try.

Were you able to purchase a stripped down Mark7 or piece it together?  Or did you just sell or store the case feed that came with your kit?

1 hour ago, Michael303 said:

I actually read through your thread the other day when I was looking for some info on ditching the Dillon powder safety rod for the spring setup.  Great stuff.  I'm going to give it a try.

Were you able to purchase a stripped down Mark7 or piece it together?  Or did you just sell or store the case feed that came with your kit?

From what I’ve been told you can buy a strip down Mark 7 personally I don’t know that for sure I purchased  complete and sold the case feeders.

Thanks Tony 

4 minutes ago, tmz said:

From what I’ve been told you can buy a strip down Mark 7 personally I don’t know that for sure I purchased  complete and sold the case feeders.

Thanks Tony 

Why do you prefer the Dillon case feed over the Mk7?

A few different reasons, I think it’s more reliable than the Mark 7 case feeder also quieter without that spring throwing brass around inside of it and last the Dillon has the low-voltage set up which makes it easier to add my counter to it. Just my preferences. 

49 minutes ago, tmz said:

A few different reasons, I think it’s more reliable than the Mark 7 case feeder also quieter without that spring throwing brass around inside of it and last the Dillon has the low-voltage set up which makes it easier to add my counter to it. Just my preferences. 

Gotcha.  I have no experience with any of the Mk7 equipment so I appreciate the feedback.  I really like my Dillon but I'd really like to add another station for powder check so it's good to know I can mix and match without issue.

Edited by Michael303

10 minutes ago, Michael303 said:

Gotcha.  I have no experience with any of the Mk7 equipment so I appreciate the feedback.  I really like my Dillon but I'd really like to add another station for powder check so it's good to know I can mix and match without issue.

Lot of extra room on the mark 7 tool head to accomplish just about anything. Sent you a PM 

I know you can buy a stripped down Evo, or at least you could last year but with covid who knows. My plan is to get one without the casefeeder and print my own along with a bullet feeder. I'm just in no hurry so I'll wait for everything to calm down a bit.

14 hours ago, Intheshaw1 said:

I know you can buy a stripped down Evo, or at least you could last year but with covid who knows. My plan is to get one without the casefeeder and print my own along with a bullet feeder. I'm just in no hurry so I'll wait for everything to calm down a bit.

That's good to hear.  I'm going to give them a call this week.  I already modeled and 3d printed a bullet feeder and would consider doing a case feeder too since I'm planning on upgrading to a printer with a larger bed in the near future.

Edited by Michael303

How did you manage a double on the dillon? The powder bar shouldn't reset until the plate indexes if you have it set correctly. The evo powder sensor works great, but that machine (i have both) can double charge too if automated. Lots of videos on the FB group of people not having the plate index so I'd say the powder sensor is a requirement of automated. 

3 hours ago, nxfedlt1 said:

How did you manage a double on the dillon? The powder bar shouldn't reset until the plate indexes if you have it set correctly. The evo powder sensor works great, but that machine (i have both) can double charge too if automated. Lots of videos on the FB group of people not having the plate index so I'd say the powder sensor is a requirement of automated. 

It happened when I was loading some 9mm and I ran out of one projectile and switched to another of the same weight but different profile. I had to pull a few off the press mid stream while adjusting the seating depth so I may have had my head up my ass and did something dumb there but unfortunately I'm just not sure.  That said I'm not 100% positive it was a double.  It could have been a bullet setting back when it went into battery too.  Either way I'm not interested in experiencing that again so if I can add an extra two stations and a powder check I think I will.

35 minutes ago, Michael303 said:

It happened when I was loading some 9mm and I ran out of one projectile and switched to another of the same weight but different profile. I had to pull a few off the press mid stream while adjusting the seating depth so I may have had my head up my ass and did something dumb there but unfortunately I'm just not sure.  That said I'm not 100% positive it was a double.  It could have been a bullet setting back when it went into battery too.  Either way I'm not interested in experiencing that again so if I can add an extra two stations and a powder check I think I will.

No agreed, i don't know why dillon didn't add another station with the 1100. I have tried and tried to double it, and couldn't get it to happen. I called dillon, and they too said it was impossible unless something is broken or set wrong due to the timing of the powder bar and the index. 

That said, don't forget to test the powder measure before a session to make sure its actually going to let you know something is off!

It sounds like people don't like the My 11" case feeder (basically the Hornady) - mine runs better than my previous Dillon. 

I failed two motors on a Dillon (customer service guy said "that's what you get with a crappy Chinese motor". 

Once you get the spring set correctly, I never mess with it. It wasn't really that hard. 

If you want top shelf, buy their 14" case feeder. It will cost you.