Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brazos Custom 1911 store Short Block review.

TWHaz

Just wanted to leave a review of the "New!! Shortblock, BCG Open Lightning - Fitted Frame, Slide, One-Piece Barrel/Comp" I purchased January 5, 2021. It was shipped January 12, 2021 and arrived as expected. 

My STI was on it's last legs after one refit it finally died. (Cracked Slide). I looked for options to replace it as I enjoy shooting open and have not had the urge to transfer over to Carry optics as many have done. BUT, when I looked at replacing my beloved blaster the term sticker shock was an understatement. Used Blasters were going for $3300.00 up to $+5000.00 STI is no longer building 2011's, what to do??

After several days of internet searching I run across the "1911 store". In a 2011 parts search I had done the term "Short Block' had come up. I hit gold. I called thinking there was a catch. The phone was answered by a nice Man who listen to my questions answered them in a manner that told me customer service was not dead yet. I put in my order and to my surprise I received a shipping notice eight days later.

The day arrived, I went to my FFL hoping for more than I expected from quick turn around non custom package. I filled out the paperwork, paid the fee and was off to my man cave. I had a quick peak at the FFL but now was the reckoning. Was it the same quality as the STI 2011 I purchased those long years ago or the custom pistol I once owned but had to sell when hardship came? Well I opened up the package and unrolled the cosmoline paper hiding my treasure. At first look it was a work of art. I put it on my bench put on the magnifier and had a close look. It was perfect. 

over the next few days I took what usable parts I had from my old blaster. Some were not a year old to see what would fit what could be fitted and what I would have to purchase new from 1911 store with the generous one time 10% discount they offered for parts to finish my new blaster. To say I was happy with the fit and finish of the Short Block is an understatement. This unit was put together with pride in workmanship that is few and far between today. I highly recommend anyone looking to rebuild an old blaster to give 1911 store a call. 

http://www.1911store.com/

Tim Hibbs 

NoSteel, the firing pin stop and ejector only. 

Trigger, mag release, thumb safety, Aftec extractor and trigger group dropped in from my broken 2011 ( cracked slide and old worn frame)  They work fine. No tweaking. 

I had to shorten, fit and adjust the new ejector to make it reliable. But Ihad to do that on my other 2011 when I switched from 38 super to 9mm. Firing pin stop I replaced with a new one as the old one was to short on top for blending. 
I have not blended the grip safety and top of the firing pin stop yet. I am going to shoot it for a while and decide what coating I will do. Then I will blend blast and enjoy. 
it looks fine now as all other areas are blended and blasted to a mat finish as you can see it the photos.  I have not touched the slide or frame. It came blended and fit. Holes for dot mount come pre drilled as part of the package. 

Edited by TWHaz

• 3 months later...
On 1/22/2021 at 11:51 AM, TWHaz said:

NoSteel, the firing pin stop and ejector only. 

Trigger, mag release, thumb safety, Aftec extractor and trigger group dropped in from my broken 2011 ( cracked slide and old worn frame)  They work fine. No tweaking. 

I had to shorten, fit and adjust the new ejector to make it reliable. But Ihad to do that on my other 2011 when I switched from 38 super to 9mm. Firing pin stop I replaced with a new one as the old one was to short on top for blending. 
I have not blended the grip safety and top of the firing pin stop yet. I am going to shoot it for a while and decide what coating I will do. Then I will blend blast and enjoy. 
it looks fine now as all other areas are blended and blasted to a mat finish as you can see it the photos.  I have not touched the slide or frame. It came blended and fit. Holes for dot mount come pre drilled as part of the package. 

Do you happen to have a parts list to complete this build?  (Specifically internals). Thanks

On 5/1/2021 at 3:17 PM, drdre352 said:

Do you happen to have a parts list to complete this build?  (Specifically internals). Thanks

I actually emailed them tonight.  What is included on the internals.

• 2 years later...

I have some updates on the Brazos 9mm Major pistol. After 2 years of shooting it I had (Koted Arms Mesa Arizona) cerakote job. I picked this scheme since I will be moving to Oklahoma next year.  

IMG_2477.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey im thinking about getting a brazos 9mm open shortblock as well!

do you recommend popple holes? also what is your load if you dont mind me asking?

lastly, do you have to put a coating on it? its stainless right?

i have a bul sas ii ur and i like it but i have a lot of 2011 parts lying around and i could whip up a quick open gun if i had the shortblock in hand

Thanks!

Edited by dsmarty386

On 8/5/2023 at 12:24 PM, TWHaz said:

I have some updates on the Brazos 9mm Major pistol. After 2 years of shooting it I had (Koted Arms Mesa Arizona) cerakote job. I picked this scheme since I will be moving to Oklahoma next year.  

IMG_2477.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2483.jpg

That Looks Great Tim! - August

12 hours ago, dsmarty386 said:

Hey im thinking about getting a brazos 9mm open shortblock as well!

do you recommend popple holes? also what is your load if you dont mind me asking?

lastly, do you have to put a coating on it? its stainless right?

i have a bul sas ii ur and i like it but i have a lot of 2011 parts lying around and i could whip up a quick open gun if i had the shortblock in hand

Thanks!

I have had several open pistols with popple holes. 38SC and 9mm. It depends on what your goal is. If you are in the top 5% of shooters or plan to be. I would get hole, 38SC and have Bob tune it to your shooting style. 

If you are shooting as a hobby, plan to shoot a few major matches or just local. I would go with 9mm major, no holes. 

I like a more snappy load.

9mm major load. 7.4g Silhouette. 1.065 OAL. Montana gold 124 JHP or RN gets me 168PF to 170PF. Without popple holes the pistol shoot quieter and no blow back on the red dot. 

It is stainless. I did not coat until I have decided to retire in Oklahoma. More chance of rust there than my current Arizona. 

15 hours ago, TWHaz said:

I have had several open pistols with popple holes. 38SC and 9mm. It depends on what your goal is. If you are in the top 5% of shooters or plan to be. I would get hole, 38SC and have Bob tune it to your shooting style. 

If you are shooting as a hobby, plan to shoot a few major matches or just local. I would go with 9mm major, no holes. 

I like a more snappy load.

9mm major load. 7.4g Silhouette. 1.065 OAL. Montana gold 124 JHP or RN gets me 168PF to 170PF. Without popple holes the pistol shoot quieter and no blow back on the red dot. 

It is stainless. I did not coat until I have decided to retire in Oklahoma. More chance of rust there than my current Arizona. 

Thank you!!