Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TACCOM 10/22 UL Barrel

Hoops

There are so many other variables that determine ammo reliability beyond the barrel.   The 10/22 bolt and receiver friction are key items.   The recoil spring and guiderod.  The guiderod alignment in the receiver being parallel to the bolt travel.    I exclusively use SV or eley contact subsonic ammo in my RFRO, but I am a clear minority.  Most use HV has been my experience.   I am a near perfectionist at maintaining and tuning my receiver and inner parts.  

Sorry if this comes off a bit arrogant, not intending it to.   Just if your goal is SV, the barrel is honestly not a huge factor has been my observation.  I ran SV with a full length Kidd barrel and I run SV with my shrouded 5" barrel.  

1 minute ago, jrdoran said:

There are so many other variables that determine ammo reliability beyond the barrel.   The 10/22 bolt and receiver friction are key items.   The recoil spring and guiderod.  The guiderod alignment in the receiver being parallel to the bolt travel.    I exclusively use SV or eley contact subsonic ammo in my RFRO, but I am a clear minority.  Most use HV has been my experience.   I am a near perfectionist at maintaining and tuning my receiver and inner parts.  

Sorry if this comes off a bit arrogant, not intending it to.   Just if your goal is SV, the barrel is honestly not a huge factor has been my observation.  I ran SV with a full length Kidd barrel and I run SV with my shrouded 5" barrel.  

Thanks for your input.

I have two Wiland barrels and just recently added a 4th lightweight chassis for family members to shoot (and me of course).  My Wiland barrels are hit/miss using SV but 100% with HV.  I also have a LW Briley 16" barrel that I shoots both HV and SV reliably.  

I am planning to order the 4th barrel for my last chassis this week.  Price wise, the TACCOM UL is the lowest.  But I have no knowledge about it.  So I'm really just looking for input from anyone who actually shoots the TACCOM UL barrel. 

With ammo availabiltiy being what it is today....... and for how long being unknown, I am leaning towards a barrel that will reliably shoot HV and SV.  I had read somewhere that the TACCOM 4.5" sleeved barrel will do this but I would prefer to hear from someone with firsthand experience shooting it.

You need to say more about receiver, bolt, guiderod, recoil spring, and even charging handle if the goal is SV.     

If you are just looking for input on Taccom barrel as a general topic, then fine, but that is a different question.    The minor difference in barrel costs will seem like nothing compared to two years of ammo costs if that is your worry.   Taccom makes fine stuff.   My experience is that the barrel does not play a big factor in reliability or SV vs HV. 

1 hour ago, jrdoran said:

You need to say more about receiver, bolt, guiderod, recoil spring, and even charging handle if the goal is SV.     

If you are just looking for input on Taccom barrel as a general topic, then fine, but that is a different question.    The minor difference in barrel costs will seem like nothing compared to two years of ammo costs if that is your worry.   Taccom makes fine stuff.   My experience is that the barrel does not play a big factor in reliability or SV vs HV. 

This is correct. Barrel isnt the main issue in this type of system. Not like gas system length and port size in AR. 10/22 much more dependent on rcvrs components than barrel...

I've been running SV in my TACCOM barrel for some time now.......customers are telling me that SV is good to go in the TACCOM ULW barrel with standard recoil springs..

Edited by TRUBL

2 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

I've been running SV in my TACCOM barrel for some time now.......customers are telling me that SV is good to go in the TACCOM ULW barrel with standard recoil springs..

Thank you.

Looking at the picture of the barrel, there appears to be a series of ribs/bars spaced around the outside of the chamber end.  Are these for strength or heat disbursement or both?

Appreciate the input.  

1 hour ago, TRUBL said:

Tim,

I don't do facebook but decided to look at your facebook posts today.  I was pleased to find a picture of the intial machine barrel before it had the extension tube added and before it was coated.  Very clear image of the machining.  This picture cleared up my previous question about what I thought were ribs which are simply the grooves.   

Looks like you flared the extractor groove for extra clearance.

I had not realized until just now that this UL 10/22 barrel is a new item for Taccom.....appears to have been released around Oct/Nov 2020? 

I think I have enough info now to make an informed decision......which is to purchase the barrel.

Thanks

Hoops, there is SV and then there is SV.    In a 5" or 5.5" barrel (with shroud) all bets are off.  For the same bullet weight, it all comes down to the powder used in the charge.

For example, Eley Target is listed at 1090 fps.  CCI SV is listed at 1070.  When you shoot them over a chrono is 47-50 fps faster than the CCI.  That's not at all what I had expected.  However, the CCI runs 100% with my setup and a Wiland LLW barrel.

My setup is very similar to yours.  I run a Tactical Innovations receiver with their Nitrided bolt.  Everything is super slick.  I also run Kidd's super slick recoil rod and their -10% recoil spring.  Two weeks ago I went down to the range for some accuracy testing.  I've already told you which were the most accurate.  During that session with the rifle held on a rest, I shot each type of ammo and watched the ejection pattern for consistency and range.  Ely Action Plus (poor man's Force) ejected the farthest, as expected, but not as much as I expected.  I think I'll have to run them over a chrono to see what is going on.  Eley Target and Fiocchi SV land in the same spot 3-4' away.  CCI SV is about 2.5-3'.  Geco SV Bolt Action and Norma Tac-22 both just dribble out. Both have occasional feeding problems, probably because the bolt is not sent far enough back.  Geco Semi-Auto is fine at 4+'.  That is what I have been running all year until I ran out.  Now I've switch recoil springs to -10% because I have bunches of CCI SV and Eley Target.  So that is what I'll be shooting in RFRO this year.

Edited by zzt

5 minutes ago, zzt said:

Hoops, there is SV and then there is SV.    In a 5" or 5.5" barrel (with shroud) all bets are off.  For the same bullet weight, it all comes down to the powder used in the charge.

For example, Eley Target is listed at 1090 fps.  CCI SV is listed at 1070.  When you shoot them over a chrono is 47-50 fps faster than the CCI.  That's not at all what I had expected.  However, the CCI runs 100% with my setup and a Wiland LLW barrel.

My setup is very similar to yours.  I run a Tactical Innovations receiver with their Nitrided bolt.  Everything is super slick.  I also run Kidd's super slick recoil rod and their -10% recoil spring.  Two weeks ago I went down to the range for some accuracy testing.  I've already told you which were the most accurate.  During that session with the rifle held on a rest, I shot each type of ammo and watched the ejection pattern for consistency and range.  Ely Action Plus (poor man's Force) ejected the farthest, as expected, but not as much as I expected.  I think I'll have to run them over a chrono to see what is going on.  Eley Target and Fiocchi SV land in the same spot 3-4' away.  CCI SV is about 2.5-3'.  Geco SV Bolt Action and Norma Tac-22 both just dribble out. Both have occasional feeding problems, probably because the bolt is not sent far enough back.  Geco Semi-Auto is fine at 4+'.  That is what I have been running all year until I ran out.  Now I've switch recoil springs to -10% because I have bunches of CCI SV and Eley Target.  So that is what I'll be shooting in RFRO this year.

BTW, since you are going to order the Taccom, order their lead cutter along with it.  You will get some lead buildup in the shroud, and that is an easy and safe way to remove it.

zzt,

We are very similar in our thinking regarding ammo.  Thanks for the info.   

I run a Wiland and Briley (16.25" UL) barrel and use Kidd -10% recoil spring and super slick Kidd recoil rod.  I run primarily CCI Mini Mags for two reasons.....it's 100% reliable in either barrel (and in my MR CF 17" barrels) and my rotary mags stay cleaner even though I disassemble and clean them after 3 outings. 

However, I also have a fair amount of quality SV ammo that I would like to run in matches.  Note:  With ammo supply being what it is, I am now more selective about what ammo I use for practice.  Burn up some of the non-match ammo I have.  I can tolerate the occasion jam in practice but not in matches.

TACCOM ordered.  Totally understand the lead cutter from cleaning my Wiland.  Lot of blowout in the first two inches inside the shroud for sure.

Thanks folks.  Appreciate everyone's input.  I am looking forward to shooting the TACCOM for comparison to my Wiland.

Happy shooting...............

I am building another chassis

14 minutes ago, Hoops said:

Totally understand the lead cutter from cleaning my Wiland.  Lot of blowout in the first two inches inside the shroud for sure.

I edited my last post.  The lead cutter only works in their 9mm barrel.  The shroud on their 22 barrel is the same diameter as the Wiland.  If you ordered it for the 22 barrel, I'm sorry.  Call and cancel.  BTW, Todd at Wiland was intrigued with the idea and was going to cook one up before he got Covid.

9 minutes ago, zzt said:

I edited my last post.  The lead cutter only works in their 9mm barrel.  The shroud on their 22 barrel is the same diameter as the Wiland.  If you ordered it for the 22 barrel, I'm sorry.  Call and cancel.  BTW, Todd at Wiland was intrigued with the idea and was going to cook one up before he got Covid.

Thanks for the heads up....but no worries.  I saw the notation in the lead-cutter description about being for the 9mm so I did not order.  

I would not be surprised to see TACCOM make a lead cutter for the 22LR barrel since they already have one for the 9mm. 

13 minutes ago, Hoops said:

I would not be surprised to see TACCOM make a lead cutter for the 22LR barrel since they already have one for the 9mm. 

I made one in 10 minutes that fits the wiland and Taccom shrouds   

image.thumb.png.a3f53a6bea9efb20874cd2883ff9eae9.png

Edited by jrdoran

3 hours ago, Hoops said:

Thank you.

Looking at the picture of the barrel, there appears to be a series of ribs/bars spaced around the outside of the chamber end.  Are these for strength or heat disbursement or both?

Appreciate the input.  

HAHA......the rib cuts were for one thing and one thing only (and had to be tastefully done too)....braggin rights. When we first came out with the design, we were at 11 ounces and I touted that it was the lightest 16" 10/22 barrel on the planet......to which someone said well hold on there Batman.....someone makes one 10.5 ounces. Well CRAP!!.......so I had to do that for braggin rights. Pretty sure that someone will go lighter soon. To be honest.....11 ounces.....10.5 ounces....10.2 ounces, doesn;t make a hill of beans for difference in performance. What does matter at that point is chambering, barrel blank quality and how good the crown is.