Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

A Perfect Day For A Steel Challenge

AzShooter

Weather was perfect today for out monthly Steel Challenge Match.  Registration was full with 75 shooters showing up for the 8 stages of fire.

I shot my Black Mamba, after getting it back from Volquartsen two weeks ago.  Basically it's a new gun and all the little problems with it have been corrected.  VQ replaced the top end after a small piece broke off my original.  They also put in a new barrel so I seasoned it with 800 rounds of Federal HV 36 grain HPs.

The match went off without a hitch.  By 10 o'clock I had to take off my sweater, the temperature was over 70 degrees and there was no wind.

My score was a little better than my average.  After a few bad stages I began to thing, in practice I never miss a 6 inch plate out to 25 yards so why would I be missing during the match.  I started watching the dot and stopping on target long enough to get a good sight picture.  On the last 4 stages I outshot all of my previous times.  

We have a small cadre of shooters that enjoy being together.  I like running the board and it seems that that is not a favorite chore for everyone.

Shooting mamba.jpg

Dang, and my local match for that same Sunday was cancelled the night before.  Yours is a bit far of a drive for me.  Glad to hear y'all had a good time though.

Just curious, what issues did you run into with your Black Mamba that merited sending it back?  Aside from a piece breaking off.  I've had some trouble with mine but the guys at Volquartsen have been diligent about sending me replacement parts.

1 hour ago, apoc4lypse said:

Just curious, what issues did you run into with your Black Mamba that merited sending it back?  Aside from a piece breaking off.  I've had some trouble with mine but the guys at Volquartsen have been diligent about sending me replacement parts.

I have run about 75K rounds though it before it started giving me trouble.  I was getting failures to fire, especially with Eley ammo but also with my favorite, Blazers.  Like you, when I needed a part they would ship it very quickly.  Today I installed one of their fiber optic front sights on the gun.  I want to shoot RFPI a bit.  The screws were the wrong size so Ryan told me they would send them out tonight.  Once he told me the size I found a couple in my leather working draw.

With the upper, they asked if I just wanted a new one and use my old barrel or did I want a new barrel.  They said mine was in bad shape so for $100 I had them put a new barrel in as well. Now I can start counting rounds all over again.  It's a new gun.  They were able to send it back to me even though it had a new serial number.

On an earlier trip back the bolt would not close.  They had to replace the Guide Rod Assembly.  It was bent.  Little problems just added up but they took care of me very well.  

I didn't know there was an option to replace the inner barrel if it gets shot out.  Makes sense and I guess it's one of the perks of getting a Volquartsen - there's a whole lot of thought and polish put into refining the 'Mark' series design.

I will say that they goofed in sending me parts this time by omitting one that I ordered!  Pretty sure they'll get it straightened on Monday though.