Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ Shadow for 3-Gun

Been shooting USPSA for about 8 years and want to get into 2/3 Gun. I want to work on shotgun, but from what I've read it sounds like I should hold off on that for a while. I don't currently have a suitable shotgun anyway...  I've got a million questions, but what I want to know is what pistol I should focus on. I've got an XDm that's got 70,000 rounds on it and will need an overhaul. I've got a SP01 Accu-Shadow that's got quite a few miles on it but is still in pretty good shape.  And I've got an Accu-Shadow 2 that's pretty fresh.  My SP01 has the larger thumb safety while the Shadow 2 has the low profile safety. I heard that I may run into trouble safely dumping my Shadows. Of coarse I'd like to be able to shoot my Shadow 2 if possible. Please give me your opinion.  

Also, I know everyone says to wait before buying equipment, but I'd like to get an idea of what my ammo carriers might look like. I've got two standard Velcro belts. One for USPSA and one for Multigun. I've got one rifle pouch and lots of Pmags and pistol mags. I assume a normal USPSA style pistol holster will not meet the requirements due to the lack of retention...???

Lastly, should I carry my rifle mags bullets forward or backward.  I've done so much practice reloading in USPSA production that I don't think I'll ever be able to retrain myself to reach around and grab the back of the rifle mag. Bullets forward feels more natural, but I end up pushing the mag in from the bottom and it gets a bit sloppy.  Should I dedicate myself to make the change to bullets facing to the rear?

You guys have already answered many questions for me.  Thanks for the help..

Edited by Just4FunLP

I’m not a hardcore multigunner so I just use my USPSA DAA belt. I’m assuming you either shoot production or CO with the Shadow 2. I run 3 pistol mag pouches and holster in that position. That way it leaves the front open for shotshell carriers. I use DAA alpha rail attachments and racer rifle/pistol pouches so I can easily remove the ones I dont need. I run the rifle mag pretty much at the 6 oclock postion bullets forward but it is angled something like 75* to the left so its almost horizontal. That allows me to reach back with the back of my hands to my back (palm out) and grab the mag with a beer can grip. With 3 mag pouches theres no mags in that area to block the rifle mag.

You’re not required to use a retention holster, but it’s recommended to eliminate the risk of your pistol popping out. Just imagine you running and a loaded shadow 2 flying out with no firing pin block. Dont need another person killed by that again. A DQ would be the least of your concern. Take an extra second to drop the mag and clear your pistol when dumping it so you dont run into the risk of the safety disengaging.

Ok. That settles it.  I’ll just practice dumping my mag and racking the slide on my last shot. I can do that fast enough. Now, off to find a retention holster. 

And regarding the mag pouch setup, it took me a couple of tries to picture it, you have a fairly straight forward setup similar to USPSA, with only 3 pistol pouches and one rifle. And the rifle is in the middle of your back with the bullets pointing towards your left rear pocket... sort of...

And yes, I shoot production. 

Edited by Just4FunLP

Yep you got the picture right. Bullet pointing towards left back pocket for a RH shooter.

Here’s an option for a Shadow 2 retention holster. Double layer kyder, CNC’d mold/vacuum formed for nice tight lines, low lead time. I have a non retention version for CO. Probably gonna pick up the retention model come spring.

https://hammerarmament.com/product/thunder-3-gun/

Shadow 2 is a great gun for 3 gun: accurate, reliable, totally easy to shoot.  I've been fully unloading pistols for decades now during transitions and I've done ok.  

As for rifle mags, I'm with the bullets backwards school but what ever works for you.

Thanks for all your suggestions.  I have my first 2/3 gun match coming up in about 3 weeks. I'm looking for a holster for a Shadow 2, but it doesn't appear that the Safariland GLS will fit my pistol. Am I missing something?  Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

It’s been a year and I’m just getting around to shooting my first 2-Gun match this weekend. I have a retention holster for my Shadow-2,  so now my question is, do I have to use it? For instance, if I plan to engage my first targets with my pistol can I start with the retention device down, or is it required to be up (engaged) ?  

I would assume that since it’s not required it doesn’t matter, but I just thought I’d ask….  Thanks

for most matches as long as it's safely in the holster you're good, but you'll want to check with the MD to make sure as so much of this game is outlaw. USPSA multigun might require all retention systems engaged like USPSA but i couldn't find it at least in section 5.2.1 of multigun equipment rules, and they do specifically allow thigh rigs in multigun so there are differences for sure. 

Edited by DavidSeavey

• 1 year later...