Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder alternatives

Cowguy

Starting to worry about availability.Any experience with Winchester super handicap in pistols it’s close to some others on the burn rate chart.Ive got 40 pounds I can get my hands on.

Edited by Cowguy

I would try a small amount before buying a bunch unless you shoot shotgun too. Some of those powders do not work well in metallic cartridges and International Clays is the first to come to mind and WSH is right there with it on the chart. Tightwad is another. I’ve tried to get them to work and they are just too spastic in a metallic cartridge. 

Edited by Farmer

I wouldn't try it.  It is way slower than you need for 40sw.  Alliant e3 is an exceptional powder for 40sw and it is available.  It has none of the pressure spikiness that Clays exhibits.  Alliant Sport Pistol is also available and works well.  e3 also has no temperature sensitivity, so you don't have to worry at the chrono station.  I shot the following load for years in Limited.  Mixed HS brass, WSP, 3.7gr e3, 180gr ploy coated bullet for 172 PF.  SDs were always single digit.

• 4 weeks later...

Hodgdon (owner of Winchester Powder now) doesn't list it for any pistol cartridge, I'd listen to them. My own bias shades toward Power Pistol - clean burning and runs consistantly through the powder meter. I use it for 750 fps w/165 gr up to 1000 fps w/200 gr.  It will push 200 gr. faster, but I use Blu Dot for that.

Lack of data does not mean unsuitability. What it means is testing costs money and companies decided that they weren't paying their technicians to test shotgun powders in pistols or vice versa.

Google data, verify start charge is near similar powders, and try it. I might start down near WST levels ( if not Red Dot levels) and work up.

However, if you don't already own it, I wouldn't procure it.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Farmer... spot on.

Lack of current data and unsuitability are real concerns. At one time there was published data for International, but it was pulled because I read it was unstable as powder weight / volume increased.

I've been using it for a long time and have seen the issues first hand and just keep my loads well under the point where it gets loopy.