Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock slide milled for RMR left in raw. Aluma-hyde?

Qbert

So I acquired a Glock slide that was milled for an RMR and it was never re-coated. I want to start carrying the G19 with this slide, but am a little concerned about rust under the optic.

I don't care about aesthetics for the most part. Can I just spray the raw area with Aluma-Hyde II (or something else you guys recommend)? I'd rather not pay $80 to have my whole slide refinished and wait several weeks as well. I do like doing things right, but if a little spray-and-bake on the affected area will do the trick, I'm all about that.

Jagerwerks has a vested interest in re-coating the slide.  They left out a lot of information about that slide.  But thanks for sharing that info.

Fortunately I live in the driest place in the country and I don't sweat a ton.

I still can't wrap my head around the cavalier use of nitriding in this industry.  There is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL I would let anyone send any gun part of mine to be nitrided after it left the factory.

Mask around the cut, put screws in the threaded holes, degrease everything exposed with acetone, then hit it with any quality rust-resistant paint from your local hardware store.  Do it in 3-4 very thin coats, waiting until the previous coat is no longer shiny before hitting it with the next.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

On 1/17/2021 at 10:22 AM, SGT_Schultz said:

I still can't wrap my head around the cavalier use of nitriding in this industry.  There is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL I would let anyone send any gun part of mine to be nitrided after it left the factory.

Mask around the cut, put screws in the threaded holes, degrease everything exposed with acetone, then hit it with any quality rust-resistant paint from your local hardware store.  Do it in 3-4 very thin coats, waiting until the previous coat is no longer shiny before hitting it with the next.

There is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL I would let anyone send any gun part of mine to be nitrided after it left the factory.  Why not?  (Obviously I'm not an expert in metal finishes.)

1 hour ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

There is absolutely NO WAY IN HELL I would let anyone send any gun part of mine to be nitrided after it left the factory.  Why not?  (Obviously I'm not an expert in metal finishes.)

Because nitriding is NOT a finish.  Its principal purpose isn't to turn steel black or make it more rust resistant.  Those are by-products.  And not all nitriding heat treatments blacken stainless anyway.  Gas and plasma nitriding certainly don't.

Nitriding is a heat treatment that changes the metallurgy of the first .010 - .040 (depending on the exact process settings) of the steel.

Its main purpose is to create a nitrogen rich, very hard surface layer in the steel (not on it) while leaving the steel below that at its (mostly) original hardness and toughness.

Edited by SGT_Schultz