Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is there a consensus on the most reliable CZ mag extension?

thegeneric

Just going to be using for a HD gun. I've had problems with some Glock extensions in the past, worried that there might be some reliability issues with those available for the CZ as well. Is there a combination of mag + follower + spring + extended basepad (+4/5?) that is known to be as reliable as an OEM mag?

TTI, Taylor Freelance, Springer Precision, others?

Thanks in advance.

41 minutes ago, thegeneric said:

Just going to be using for a HD gun. I've had problems with some Glock extensions in the past, worried that there might be some reliability issues with those available for the CZ as well. Is there a combination of mag + follower + spring + extended basepad (+4/5?) that is known to be as reliable as an OEM mag?

TTI, Taylor Freelance, Springer Precision, others?

Thanks in advance.

Henning Extended Basepads, Grams Spring and Follower is what most USPSA shooters use. Works really well, and make sure you test for reliability. 

I ended up just getting the Mec-Gar with baked in extended +3 basepads for my SP-01 because it looks OEM, but that’s more of a aesthetic than anything. 

For my CZ TS I installed CZC base pads and used the factory springs and followers.  100% reliable over three seasons.  I shoot Open now, so they don't get the workout they used to.

Grams followers need screwing around with to get them to work reliably.  You might get lucky right off the bat, or you might not.

Henning basepads with the OEM follower and spring have worked with 100% reliability from the very beginning in the several P series CZs that I have.

19 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

Grams followers need screwing around with to get them to work reliably.  You might get lucky right off the bat, or you might not.

Henning basepads with the OEM follower and spring have worked with 100% reliability from the very beginning in the several P series CZs that I have.

I’ve had 100% luck with every grams spring and follower kit I’ve ever used with CZ 75 mags and Henning or taran extensions. That’s over 4+ years, 6 different guns and 20+ mags.

The ones you mentioned are all good.  Henning basepads are in the same league and just as good or better than the ones you mentioned.  Assuming HD means home defense.  Is that correct?  Also, what model of CZ and stock or other magazines?  If living in a mag capacity restricted state, stock is all you need.  If elsewhere, stock is still fine.  Unless you are looking to maximize capacity, you probably don't need to change the springs and followers.  If you need to change them, CZ custom followers and springs are as good as any for most magazines and work great in my stock mags.  Grams are as good too.  In my SP01 using stock followers and springs, I typically get 19 rnds in an 18 rnd magazine that is reloadable with ease.  Almost double what I can use in USPSA Production.  For CO, is use CZ Custom springs and followers, with Springer basepads

1 hour ago, mveto said:

I’ve had 100% luck with every grams spring and follower kit I’ve ever used with CZ 75 mags and Henning or taran extensions. That’s over 4+ years, 6 different guns and 20+ mags.

That's good to know.  I shoot mostly the P series which take a different magazine and the one thing that's kept me from getting Grams springs and followers is the negative feedback from a local guy (M) who also shoots a P-10F.  He fought inconsistent nose dives and just gave up on it.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

21 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

That's good to know.  I shoot mostly the P series which take a different magazine and the one thing that's kept me from getting Grams springs and followers is the negative feedback from a local guy (M) who also shoots a P-10F.  He fought inconsistent nose dives and just gave up on it.

I had a similar experience, the first gram spring and follower kit I bought was reliably causing nose dives.  I bought two more from a different source a year later and those work without issues in my mec-gar tubes with different extensions.  I am wondering if I purchased the incorrect type the first time around or incorrect delivery?  

It would be helpful if you mentioned which gun or at least which mags.

As someone else mentioned, personally for a Home Defense gun I'm not sure I would trust any of the extensions.  If you do go that route be sure you test them, a lot.

On 1/16/2021 at 11:18 AM, SouperMan said:

Henning Extended Basepads, Grams Spring and Follower is what most USPSA shooters use. Works really well, and make sure you test for reliability. 

I ended up just getting the Mec-Gar with baked in extended +3 basepads for my SP-01 because it looks OEM, but that’s more of a aesthetic than anything. 

What sort of tuning needs to be done?

I haven't had any luck with extended basepads unless I was using the factory follower and a + 10% spring.

• 3 months later...

All the major btands are reliable.  Stock base pads too.  Henning are very good.  So are all the other brands you mentioned.  Only comment is several brands you listed don't work with stock CZ mags.  Mec-Gar only.  I've used stock CZ mags for nearly a decade and 70k+ rnds. and they just work.

To update with first hand experience with Grams follower and spring kits.  Got two for the two P-10F magazines I use for carry optics. 

The bottom of the front left corner of both followers protrude above the top edge of the magazine.  This makes the follower hang up in that corner and makes loading the first cartridge awkward.  

Once the first round is in the rest load fine.  Cycling a full, 22 round magazines manually through the gun showed no problems.  Will check on live fire next week.

Can only get 22 rounds in the mags with a Henning extension, same as I could with a trimmed OEM follower and OEM spring, but the 22nd round is easier to load with the Grams kit.

I would stick with completely stock magazines for self defense reliability.  If 17-19 rounds isn't enough, then pick up a rifle.

Edited by SGT_Schultz

On 4/29/2021 at 6:41 AM, SGT_Schultz said:

To update with first hand experience with Grams follower and spring kits.  Got two for the two P-10F magazines I use for carry optics. 

The bottom of the front left corner of both followers protrude above the top edge of the magazine.  This makes the follower hang up in that corner and makes loading the first cartridge awkward.  

Once the first round is in the rest load fine.  Cycling a full, 22 round magazines manually through the gun showed no problems.  Will check on live fire next week.

Can only get 22 rounds in the mags with a Henning extension, same as I could with a trimmed OEM follower and OEM spring, but the 22nd round is easier to load with the Grams kit.

I would stick with completely stock magazines for self defense reliability.  If 17-19 rounds isn't enough, then pick up a rifle.

My experience with my Shadow 01 was similar, I put two mags together one with the Grams and one with the stock CZ follower both hold 22.  Both dry cycled well.  I took a trip out to the local range which has a steel bay and commenced fire.  The mag with the grams follower failed to feed a couple of times and had trouble with first round, but the one with the CZ follower never gave an issue.  I shot up about 400 rounds.  Grams aren't new to me I have them in all my STI Open gun mags and they are 100%.  I'm on the if it Ain't broke don't fix it team, so for now I will stick with the stock follower.    The red Henning pads make the gun look sexy. 

Edited by CocoBolo

Welp, Grams spring/follower kit in 19 round P-10 magazines with Henning extensions are a bust.  Rounds come up too flat to slide up the feedramp.

On the advice of a fellow P-10 shooter I bought some 40 S&W P-09 magazines to try.  According to him, 40 mags with Henning basepads and Grams spring/follower will fit 23 and feed well.  I confirmed this by hand cycling while holding the mag in seated since 40 S&W P-09 mags lack the notch to lock in the Gen 2 P-10s.  So this week's project is to layout and mill those extra notches in.

The key seems to be that the 40 S&W magazines are wider inside because they lack the dimpled lines that the 9 mm mags have stamped along the sides.

For the P10C, I use the Shield Arms +5 mag extensions with the factory magazines.  Same spring and follower.  Yields 20 rnds.  Have run those mags in 1 dozen or so USPSA or 3 gun matches.  The Shield Arms extension is about .250” shy of the 140mm mag gauge.  Also have a P-09 mag with Springer Precision 140mm base pad.  I did get the Grams follower and spring to load 23 rnds, but could never get the Grams follower to work reliably and reverted to factory follower for 22 rnds.  

For the Shadow 2, TTI w/ Grams spring and follower on the 17 rnd Mecgar mag for 23 rnds.  Those have worked flawlessly for the last 2 years.  

Another vote for CZC extended base pads (and CZC spring/follower kit). I use them for my TS2, and CZC recommends when using those base pads in 9mm TS mags to also use CZC spring/follower kit. Have worked 100% in the short time I've been using them. Loads to 23 for 140mm in Limited minor.

Edited by jt1207
added words to clarify

Grams followers and springs in the 40 cal P-09 magazines with Henning baseplates were a complete fail with the P-10F with rounds nosediving hard into the feed ramp, but worked flawlessly in the P-09 with 23+1

Unfortunately the P-07/P-09 grip angle just destroys my right ulnar nerve so back to P-10F with 9mm magazines, trimmed OEM followers, OEM springs, and Henning basepads for 22 + 1.

Edited by SGT_Schultz