Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Broke two .223 decapping pins help!

Started doing case prep on my Dillon 650 for .233 and was going okay but then broke two decapping pins does the adjustment of the decapping assembly effect this? I thought I just needed to screw it down enough to punch the primer out. If that’s not it any other ideas why this would happen? 
it’s a Dillon full length resize die FYI

Edited by Smeeg

Another thing to check is that the decapping pin is centered. Leave the decapping stem slightly loose, deprive a case and then tighten everything up with the decapper still in the flash hole. 

This will make sure it is lined up. 

I bought an extra 650 tool head and stuck a Lee universal decapping die in it.  I use it to decap all my brass before cleaning/processing.  The Lee unit is made so the decapping pin is less likely to break if you run into a stone in a case, a berdan primer or a particular tough crimp, because the pin is usually just forced up into the die. I'm never measured the Lee pin but I think it might be slightly thicker than Dillon's decapping pin.

I use the Lee Universal decapping die, and have busted multiple pins with that.  I found a set of aftermarket replacement pins on Ebay and have had very good success with those.  With that said, I also have a separate tool head I decap, and resize.  Then when its time to load, I swap tool heads, and I have another decapping die in station 1 to make sure flash hole is clean, then load normal from there. 

I just finished up a big run of 223 on the super 1050.  I ran into two different headstamps of brass that were berdan. I only broke one pin. It was some military stuff, weird number / symbol headstamp.  Range pick up brass, so no idea where it was from .  Mostly just stopped the press short so I was able to remove the brass.  But there is berdan out there.

• 2 weeks later...

+4

I use Mighty Armory and FW decappers and both are tough. But as stated, the FW centers the case better (and punches right through the bottom of a berdan case).

I also have the Lee decapper I used for years and although it is not so tough as the FW and MA dies, it is significantly cheaper.

Edited by RGA

On 1/17/2021 at 10:23 AM, lefty o said:

some of the 223/5.56 brass out there has flash holes so far off center (perfecta), decapping pins dont stand a chance.

I've noticed this as well... my mighty armory decapper with make some weird noises, but still blasts through it. 

On 1/15/2021 at 4:59 PM, Smeeg said:

Started doing case prep on my Dillon 650 for .233 and was going okay but then broke two decapping pins does the adjustment of the decapping assembly effect this? I thought I just needed to screw it down enough to punch the primer out. If that’s not it any other ideas why this would happen? 
it’s a Dillon full length resize die FYI

Yes if you run across berdan primed brass.