Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3D Printed Case Collator

Hello all.... I'm new to the reloading world and wanted to add a case collator to my Lee Loadmaster. I have a 3D printer so that's out of the way but I don't really know where to get started. Everywhere I read I get a video but no .stl files, I read that basically everyone's design is based off ammomike83 design on thingiverse but it appears its been removed.

Does anyone have the .stl files and parts list so I can get this project started?

Thanks,

SoggyCashew

... that was disconcerting...

discord wants a lot of somewhat personal info to play along with demands to be on my phone

and...

it sure looks hard to find any useful and relevant posts.

I think I'll poke around castboolits instead.

miranda

Yeah, it's more of a chat thing but there are a bunch of files on a google drive. I printed a primer tube filler from plans on Thingiverse and designed the filler end myself. 

I just need a press bigger than a 550 so I can make the bullet and case feeder. I've considered making them now just because I feel like it and having the brass and bullets drop into something flat just so I can grab them in the correct orientation.

dillon may shoot me.

I am pretty sure you can order the 750 press without the casefeeder...

I suspect you can make a cheaper casefeeder.

and to defend them a bit,  dillon's casefeeder is pretty good.

----------------------------------------------------------------

onward,

I have to point out a bit of logic that has been bopping around in my head.

lets say a 3d printer that can make a casefeeder... and a bullet feeder.... and a birdfeeder

and well anything you may want

that costs 350 dollars...

I can not state what the feeders may cost in plastics buuuut I am sure

the motor and gearbox and wires and switches and screws cost some

lets say it costs you an additional 100 bucks to make a case and bullet feeder.

I think you will be ahead in terms of costs.

I do not know how good the products will be.

the birdfeeder will be free!

miranda

9 hours ago, Miranda said:

dillon may shoot me.

I am pretty sure you can order the 750 press without the casefeeder...

I suspect you can make a cheaper casefeeder.

and to defend them a bit,  dillon's casefeeder is pretty good.

----------------------------------------------------------------

onward,

I have to point out a bit of logic that has been bopping around in my head.

lets say a 3d printer that can make a casefeeder... and a bullet feeder.... and a birdfeeder

and well anything you may want

that costs 350 dollars...

I can not state what the feeders may cost in plastics buuuut I am sure

the motor and gearbox and wires and switches and screws cost some

lets say it costs you an additional 100 bucks to make a case and bullet feeder.

I think you will be ahead in terms of costs.

I do not know how good the products will be.

the birdfeeder will be free!

miranda

So I picked up an creality CR10 V2 3d printer for 370 which is pretty nice and has a bigger bed for printing. First big thing I printed was a primer tube filler based on Thingiverse plans. I got enough parts to build 2 of them for 30 bucks which included spending 12 on a wall adapter vs a 9v battery. Plastics for 2 is about 3 bucks of that 30.

I will say the motor and switches I got off Amazon are a lot more powerful than a vibraprime. Same thing for a casefeeder or bullet feeder. You can buy parts that work fine for probably about 100 bucks or you can spend more for stronger motors and variable switches and whatnot.

I will say, the plastics are the cheap part. I'd be surprised if you spend more than a spool ($20) on a feeder and likely a lot less.

My idea in getting the 3d printer is I could save a ton on a few big projects like this and then print a lot of little things. I'm a tinkerer so it's a fun machine to have either way.

I also bought my 3D printer (Ender 3 V2) for fun because I also Like to tinker... I made a Lee Loadmaster Finished Bullet Counter with it that I designed, it took forever to get it right but was fun doing it...

Quick Video of My Lee Loadmaster Finished Bullet Counter

Body Progress.... 

PXL_20210116_161920064.MP.jpg

Edited by SoggyCashew
Changed link

1 hour ago, Miranda said:

SoggyCashew,

you make it look easy.

I maybe I'll get a 3d printer

miranda

It's mostly plug and play once you get it built and leveled. Leveling is a pita but once you understand how to do it it's not that bad.

10 minutes ago, Intheshaw1 said:

It's mostly plug and play once you get it built and leveled. Leveling is a pita but once you understand how to do it it's not that bad.

once I get one... read if...  for the next few months, I'll be back here looking for help.

what happens if the printer is not level?

miranda

press parts?

I hate to seem overly enthused...

what did you make?

I can think a lamp holder or camera holder for checking powder fill.

some one had a bullet feeder for a die station.

I saw some one made a chess set buuuuut I don't need that.

... like I need incentive to get a printer.

I'll start saving and looking for best prices and performance.

miranda

42 minutes ago, Miranda said:

press parts?

I hate to seem overly enthused...

what did you make?

I can think a lamp holder or camera holder for checking powder fill.

some one had a bullet feeder for a die station.

I saw some one made a chess set buuuuut I don't need that.

... like I need incentive to get a printer.

I'll start saving and looking for best prices and performance.

miranda

Google 3d print files or .stl files, there are websites that people create things and upload for you to print... Actually there's a lot of useful things that I never even thought of that someone created.

Readin this thread is making me want to buy a 3D printer now. A friend has one and he had been printing a bunch of reloading parts like primer tube holder, gun holder display etc.

Or, I can just buy some filament and have him make some custom stuff for me. I think this is a better idea since I can already foresee myself getting frustrated trying to level the printer 😆.

Filament is cheap. Just go on Thingiverse and look around at stuff. You will find a lot of crap to print you dont really need and a few useful things.

So far I've had my printer about a month and made some stuff for my 550 like the pin tabs, primer cup thing to help with run away primers, primer filler tube ends for the aluminum tubing I bought, bin barriers, and the primer tube filler

This primer filler I made works great but required a little tweaking of the files. I have like 300 things saved on Thingiverse I plan to print as well. I'm in the middle of making a dry box to house my filament and feed my printers from and other than the box I'm printing all the needed parts.

IMG_20210110_155357375_HDR(ckUtG3eqFwd).jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Im in the middle of printing out 2 collators, one for bullets and one for brass, as well as the casefeeder for my press and bullet feeding dies. 

The casefeeder was completed last week, and after slight tuning, it works very well. 

The first collator is nearly complete, and with a test run dumping bullets into a box, it works 100%. 

@SoggyCashew, like you, I picked up an Ender 3 V2 because I enjoy tinkering and because I the cost of the printer and all materials for a single collator is less than a new Mr. Bullet Feeder. 

It looks like you are printing the same files that i am. Which sensor did you decide to go with? I opted for the proximity sensor, and did do a slight modification to the wiring diagram to shut power off to everything (not leaving the relay energized all the time).