Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you structure your practice sessions?

apoc4lypse

For those of you who practice on regulation stages, how do you structure your practice sessions?

Lately I've been setting up multiple stages (usually five per session) and shooting each one with three guns, typically six strings per gun.  I don't make up my misses but try to get four perfect strings.  If the first four are perfect then I'll shoot the last two pushing for speed.

The stages I shoot are in arranged in the order that I'll encounter at my local match.

How about you guys?

in my case, i always preferred to run the entire match, all stages, cold.  but i ran them twice b4 changing the stage.  if i had an issue with a stage, when i was done shooting the match, i would practice on that age till i ran out of ammo.

There is no way I can set up an actual SCSA stage, so I simulate.  I also try to work on one thing at a time during practice.  Last session was response to the beep from low ready and time to first target hit.  Set the timer for variable beep and react.  The time before that was the same but drawing from a holster.  The next session is moving between boxes on OL.  I have no idea why I can move with a pistol and be on target when my foot hits to center box, but cannot for the life of me do it with a rifle or PCC.  I'm obviously doing something wrong and have to figure out what.

I go to the range with a specific goal in mind.  Sometimes the goal is 'figure out what I need to figure out' - but sometimes it is as specific as 'decrease first shot time in 5 to Go'.

Most often, it's figure out what I need to figure out....  

I start with a few dry fire reps for trigger control and then shoot a few groups.

I will set up a stage - we'll use 5 to Go as an example.  I shoot it 'for score' to get a baseline and to identify what specifically I need to work on.  I'll look at every shot on the timer. In some cases I'll video the baseline and take a few minutes to review the video.  Then, I figure out how to best work on whatever it is that I need to address in isolation.  In some cases, that means that I shoot the entire stage but ONLY am concerned with the times/accuracy for a specific function.  In some cases it means I only shoot 1-3 shots to work on a specific skill.

My general idea is this:  Figure out something to work on.  Work on THAT and implement a solution.  Make it the 'new normal' and then integrate it back into the full stage for a new 'baseline.'  Repeat, or move to a different stage/skill.

I try to NOT do too much in a single session.  I try to work/improve 1 or 2 things at most.  Then...

Sleep. 

This is critical, as it is the sleep cycle that is responsible for moving stuff from the conscious mind to the subconscious mind.  If there is a long period of time between doing and sleeping, I will add in a little visualization of whatever it is I'm trying to make permanent.

One of the things I'm going to try is substituting 30 minutes of meditation/relaxation for the sleep cycle.  A few studies show that 90min of 'learning' with a 30min 'nap' (doesn't have to be sleep, you can substitute meditation) can be very effective at moving learned things into the subconscious/long term storage.

I've also been considering adding some other mechanisms that are a little woo woo to my training - including smell.  Some studies show that a fragrance during the learning process and then repeated during the 'sleep cycle' portion assists in the effectiveness of making permanent.  Smelling Eley primer mix probably isn't the right fragrance for this...

I talk about practice and isolation a little bit in my latest youtube video and will be doing a bit more in the future:  

Thanks, @KelsonAK

Very interesting/helpful write-up and video...  You have a very analytical approach to your practice sessions...  Interesting to see how you analyze your splits and expected splits on 5 To Go...  Thanks for sharing it with us.

ps:  I'm 6'3", so I found your extra tip very interesting...