Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need bullet info for gen 5 model 17

twister

New to shooting Glock, is there a specific bullet weight they like? I load my own and just starting to shoot IDPA with this gun. Not real worried about meeting power factor, this is a laid back club shoot. Thanks for any info on this, Dave.

From a pure accuracy stand point .Glocks prefer 147's. Now at IDPA,USPSA distance it really doesn't matter.

What can you get? Until you get past 25 yards most any weight will work. It just needs to be consistent.

I'll say they tend to not like 115s and leave it at that.

Hello: The Glocks I have and have shot really like bullets in the 121-135 range. 115's will work for IDPA since the furthest shots are only 18 yards. You will have to decide whether you like the pistol to have a slow push or something a little snappy. I am on the quick snappy side so I use 115-125's for IDPA and USPSA. I would also suggest you tune your recoil spring setup for the load you are using. Chrono your loads as well. Thanks, Eric

I read somewhere the chambers on Gen 5 glocks are tighter than prior gens so make sure you plunk test whatever round you plan to load.  I know the chamber on my Gen 5 G19 loads about the same length as my CZ S2 with a 147g BBI at 1.08 and the chamber on my Gen 3 G17 will fit that same round out to 1.012.

Edited by ML123

• 1 month later...

From what I've found, the most accurate with stock Glock barrels will be 115 or 124/125s with a medium speed powder, N320 is a great one.  I ended up getting a non-fitted Wilson and fitting it myself to a G34 G5 - now it shoots 1" groups at 20yds with my preferred CO/Prod load which is 147 plated with N320.

On 3/18/2021 at 6:47 AM, rpm8300 said:

From what I've found, the most accurate with stock Glock barrels will be 115 or 124/125s with a medium speed powder, N320 is a great one.  I ended up getting a non-fitted Wilson and fitting it myself to a G34 G5 - now it shoots 1" groups at 20yds with my preferred CO/Prod load which is 147 plated with N320.

How far off the lands was your seating depth? 0.020"? I loaded to 0.015-0.020" on average using 124 MG JHPs, they shot well @ 25 yds the precision delta 124 FMJs were meh.... Titegroup PF 130-132. 

The Blue Bullet 150s with 3.1gr - 3.2gr of Titegroup loaded to around 1.13" have always done well for me. I run a G34 so my velocity will be a touch higher than yours (not much). I haven't touched my powder drop in 4 years and have consistently made ~132 PF at every major Ive been to.