Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spring setup (Magazine Lifter Quadload ROF)

impact

Hi folks. I'm fairly new to the shotgun game, but I got a little interested and will give it a try.

I'm aiming towards IPSC Standard Semi.

Currently I'm working dry on quad load mechanics, and wondered how the pros spring their 3gun/IPSC/.. shotguns?

Do they generally use custom springs in their magtubes and lifters to be able to quadload better?

I found some tuning springs, that are longer but thinner, which should give a little more preload on an empty tube still not too much tension on a full one, with a flatter force courve from full to empty. Are those a good idea?

How do Mag springs influence other important factors like reliability? (and maybe even rate of fire? I could imagine that harder mag springs will decrease cycle time, and some are maybe after that?)

What about the lifter spring? Do you prefer lighter ones than stock? (besides maybe competition ready models that already got softer springs. maybe...)

I'll try my best to develop solid reloading techniques, I'm just wondering how much of an advantage a different than stock ("milspec"/combat/duty/...) spring setup could possibly give me, and what (reliability) issues I might risk running into. Or if weak springs are just for concealing weak technique?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Impact. I don't know any IPSC guys who replace/tune the lifter spring. I did try shortening mine thinking it would make loading easier & all it did was introduce some unreliability. Leave the spring alone.

As for mag springs, people use custom springs because of the added capacity in an extended tube. The mag springs job is to reliably feed the first and the last round from the mag tube, so long as it does that it's good. Mag springs do have a lifespan are a service item.

The best upgrade to make reloading better is practice, practice & more practice.

Hi Steve,

thanks for the reply. Seems like sound advice.

I'm soon gonna upgrade my tube capacity, are there any recommendation for spring manufacturers in europe? (I'll make the extension myself, so all I need is goining to be a spring in the 10 to 12 round range)

Edited by impact

• 1 month later...