Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to build a Glock 22lr trainer with a Red dot

dghboy315

Thought I would do a little show & tell today. Here is my Covid trainer. Because of ammo prices, I put together a 22lr slide for the frame of my primary gun (Shadow Systems MR920 with Holosun 507C-GR-X2). The slide is a Tactical Solutions TSG-22 built for glocks. This build should work on any glock frame that will accept the TacSol slide.  

The challenge was to put on a red dot. First, I sent it to C&H Precision and had numerous talks with them. Ultimately they said they were not able to cut the slide because there was not enough material.

My next step was to buy a red dot mounting plate that fits into the rear dovetail so I could mount an identical 507C. Unfortunately the additional weight of the mount and Holosun caused malfunctions in the 22lr slide.

So my final solution was to purchase a SIG SAUER Romeo Zero and matching Lakeline LLC glock dovetail mounting plate. This combo is much lighter because the Romeo Zero is all polymer including the view window.

The trainer has run flawlessly with all high velocity ammo I've tried. The TacSol recommends only high velocity ammo for their slide. Of course, there is almost no recoil, so I can't use it for recoil control and multiple shots drills. But, it's great for practicing draws, first shots and even single shot transitions. It's also fun to just shoot matches with it.  There are a bunch of my local pistol matches like IDPA and outlaw steel that now allow rimfire pistols now because ammo is so expensive.  You could also shoot at regular rimfire pistol matches like Steel Challenge and get more practice with your carry style Glock.  Hope this helps.

img_4279.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, BlackLion said:

I like it. I created a similar setup;

Advantage Arms 22LR Conversion Kit for Glock 17/22

JP JPoint Mount Adapter for Glock #JPA-G

Trijicon Red Dot Sight; 4 MOA

G17-22.jpeg

Cool!  Does it cycle any ammo or just HV?

• 1 year later...

Tried the Strike Industries SURF mount with RMR on my G44. Unfortunately too heavy to cycle reliably. Several mags, no problem , then several more with stove pipes, FTE, spent casing stuck in chamber, slide not locking back…. Bummer. 

Glad to see at least a couple of you cracked this nut. I gave up on my G44 and went with a Taurus TX22 Competition. It’s not a Glock replica by any means, but it lets me practice shooting an optic with a full size gun and rimfire ammo. 

• 5 weeks later...