Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will Large Rifle Primers work in a 45ACP?

bomadera

Large rifle primers are taller than large pistol primers, meaning you may not be able to seat them flush or below flush.  Above flush could result in a slam fire in autos, or bind the cylinder in revolvers.

The primer pocket can be cut for the large rifle primers, but there is risk it would leave the web quite thin.

Best to avoid using the large rifle in large pistol.

• 9 months later...

Yes it will work.  I do it now as we speak,,.    The only Crony testing I've done is with CCI LPP VS CCI LRP.

Here's my Data.  6shot group.  The only issue is LRP is .005ish taller.   I get about a 3% light primer strike failure.

Its my opinion that CCI uses the same primer compound for LPP and LRP.   the data below shows that LRP are a little weaker.

Durring the pandemic I was able to trade one box small pistol primers for two boxs of LRP.   People dont know what they dont know.

DE 1911 5" barrel

45acp 230 FMJ OAL= 1.265

6.0gr MP 190

CCI LPP.

Hi 789

lo 741

AVG 759

ES 55

SD 20

CCI LRP

Hi 779

lo 743

avg 768

es 45

sd 15

b, believe the nos.  Do not believe that LPP and LRP have the same priming compound.  CCI has clearly stated they do not, as have Federal and Winchester.  Don't know about the others.  IF you can seat them flush or slightly below, AND your mainspring is strong enough to sufficiently dent the harder primer cup, THEN yes they will work.  If they sit proud you risk a slam fire.  Swap them with someone.

So far this year I have DQed 4 people. All 4 were loading Large rifle primers in pistol brass. One was shooting a 10mm. Other 3 were shooting 45acp.

All 4 slam fired. All 4 DQs were on load and make ready. All 4 hit something within 10 feet. Do what you wont this is a bad idea. 

Just for fun, I reamed some .45 ACP primer pockets with a rifle size primer pocket uniformer.  I sectioned one to check web thickness and it was not reduced much in proportion.

Rifle primers seated to the now very flat and square bottoms were below flush, chambered safely and fired every time.

But it is a lot of work and I would have to be really hurting for something to shoot.

I have in my odds and ends, a factory .38 Special case with large primer, so that can be done, too.  I doubt the usual match revolver with Grandma's hairpin for a mainspring would fire a rifle primer, though.

Old old item in American Rifleman:  At one time NRA members could get ammo and components from DCM very cheaply.  Parts, too.  A guy with a .38 Super looked longingly at all those large pistol primers and .45 bullets.  So he bought a .45 barrel, .45 brass, bullets and LPP.  He turned down the heads and rims of .45s to fit the breech face of his .38 and went shooting on a budget.  Nice that he had a lathe to use.

5 hours ago, RudyVey said:

all my 38 spl and 357 brass has small primers.....

I milled out the primer pockets to test.  The original 357 magnum used large pistol primers in 1935.    Strange part I got the best standard deviation with large rifle primers on everything I tested.  

Standard deviation was under 15 fps. and extreme spread under 40 fps. For revolvers that very good.

11 hours ago, Farmer said:

Most of you guys won’t even sort by headstamp or even clean primer pockets let alone machine a 1000 of them!! 😄😅🤣

I do sort by head stamp, trim, drill flash holes and clean the pockets.  Each piece of rifle bras usually takes an hour to prepare.  It's my only hobby and I have the time.   Did the 38 and 357 test because someone asked me if it were possible; well I knew 357 worked with Large pistol to start with, so I tried it.  

On 11/12/2021 at 6:51 AM, AHI said:

So far this year I have DQed 4 people. All 4 were loading Large rifle primers in pistol brass. One was shooting a 10mm. Other 3 were shooting 45acp.

All 4 slam fired. All 4 DQs were on load and make ready. All 4 hit something within 10 feet. Do what you wont this is a bad idea. 

This is scary to read as I run a monthly Steel Challenge match and the “Load and Make Ready” command by many shooters seems to be a “casual” process with some shooters, while not breaking the 180 rule, do not have their muzzle pointed down range and at a berm……

AHI - Thanks for posting this information. Your experience will be shared with our RO’s and every shooter starting at our match next month…..With our very experienced shooters, who I know to be active reloaders, I tend to be a more comfortable/relaxed when I give this command to them…..With your post - This just changed….Thanks Again…Mark

8 minutes ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

This is scary to read as I run a monthly Steel Challenge match and the “Load and Make Ready” command by many shooters seems to be a “casual” process with some shooters, while not breaking the 180 rule, do not have their muzzle pointed down range and at a berm……

AHI - Thanks for posting this information. Your experience will be shared with our RO’s and every shooter starting at our match next month…..With our very experienced shooters, who I know to be active reloaders, I tend to be a more comfortable/relaxed when I give this command to them…..With your post - This just changed….Thanks Again…Mark

If you are using “Load and make ready”you have bigger problems to worry about.😎

Sorry - Sarge is right. The commands for USPSA are:
“Make Ready”

then

“Are you Ready”

”Load and Make Ready” is the command for IDPA which I am a certified SO and help with local matches from time to time…..

With this said my next command is - “I am out of here” because no matter what I seem to post - It is never acceptable or right…I guess since my mind has started slipping and forgetting it is best that I keep my thoughts, opinions, suggestions, experiences, and comments to myself….It been a learning experience…..Mark

The range commands for USPSA and SCSA are identical.  The only difference is in the expected behavior after the .........hammer down, .......... command.  Unfortunately, lots of Steel Challenge only ROs do not use them properly.