Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Most secure race style holster

Did a little research and it seems like the DAA Alpha X is the one to get if I'm looking for really good retention. I do have a Safariland 015 but it doesn't have the optional muzzle support yet so I can't trust it right now for 3-gun with my open gun. With that said, I am using a thumb lever so I can't use the Nerd Urn holster with it.

Is the DAA Alpha X still the one to buy?

The Safariland 015 is VERY secure.  If you are unsure if you trust it fully just yet, throw your unloaded pistol in it, lock the lock and run, jump, dive in the grass/dirt, spin, flip and see where, or even if there is a failure point.  

41 minutes ago, Robertwil18 said:

The Safariland 015 is VERY secure.  If you are unsure if you trust it fully just yet, throw your unloaded pistol in it, lock the lock and run, jump, dive in the grass/dirt, spin, flip and see where, or even if there is a failure point.  

The only thing I don’t like is that the gun can rock fore and aft a bit muzzle wise. Doesn’t sit well with me running around like a mad man. 

Edited by 021411

Take a look at the Everglades MRH.  Magnets hold the dust cover against the holster body, so there is no rocking back and forth.  Locking is secure, even at the halfway position.  Like the DAA Alpha (which I also have) there is no way the gun is leaving the holster until you flip the lock to open.

14 minutes ago, zzt said:

Take a look at the Everglades MRH.  Magnets hold the dust cover against the holster body, so there is no rocking back and forth.  Locking is secure, even at the halfway position.  Like the DAA Alpha (which I also have) there is no way the gun is leaving the holster until you flip the lock to open.

I need to look at some pictures but my open gun doesn’t have an extended length dust cover. It’s normal length. Is this is an issue? 

While I’m looking over everything I did order the “015A” muzzle support from Safariland. Don’t know when I’ll get it but I’ll continue to research and look into other holsters as well. 

55 minutes ago, 021411 said:

I need to look at some pictures but my open gun doesn’t have an extended length dust cover. It’s normal length. Is this is an issue? 

No.

15 hours ago, Robertwil18 said:

So I took some time off from work today and tested the security of the holster while sitting around at home. 
I hopped around the house and even stomped my foot pretty good seeing if I could make the lever flip with inertia. Nope. I also shook the crap out of the help. Probably more movement than a match would have.. it’s solid. 

1 hour ago, Bmans45 said:

I like the Everglades over the safariland  I have both and the way the Everglades keeps the gun secure is better In my opinion 

Enough for 3 gun? 

So as it stands, no telling when the muzzle adapter for the 015 will be shipped and delivered. Safariland is notorious for super long lead times. And of course the Everglades MRH is out of stock right now. 

22 hours ago, 021411 said:

Enough for 3 gun? 

I would use the Everglades for 3 gun for the reasons ZZT stated above.  You have a half lock and a full lock position on the holster.  Full lock,  you actually have to reach down to deliberately disengage. 

Having said that, I much prefer the 015 for USPSA.