Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Setting up to process/ Load volume 223

About 5 years ago I used a Hornady progressive to size then swage about 6000 pieces of 223 brass. I sold that machine so now that I have used up that plus a few thousand I bought new when it was cheap and now I am thinking of processing another big batch. I have around 15,000 or so gathered up.

Been reading and pondering on best methods and machines to most efficiently get this done.

I have considered the following:

CP 2000 just setup and process then load on my 550. Probably won’t go this route.

Get a RL1100 process on one head the load on another. This seems to be the most common method. Would like to hear about setups in each tool head.

I heard the lee APP may be a solution...

on a selfish note, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

I have been holding off getting one for swaging because

I have the RCBS primer pocket swage thingie that goes into a single hole press.

the single step swage process is.. slow and effective.

If you are thinking that the 1100 is possible in your budget,

... and it easy for me to spend your money...

I'd get the 1100.

the 650/750 does not have a realistic swaging option

and I'd like an automatic case handling process.

miranda

this thread may be worth reading

Edited by Miranda
added url

12 minutes ago, venatic said:

About 5 years ago I used a Hornady progressive to size then swage about 6000 pieces of 223 brass. I sold that machine so now that I have used up that plus a few thousand I bought new when it was cheap and now I am thinking of processing another big batch. I have around 15,000 or so gathered up.

Been reading and pondering on best methods and machines to most efficiently get this done.

I have considered the following:

CP 2000 just setup and process then load on my 550. Probably won’t go this route.

Get a RL1100 process on one head the load on another. This seems to be the most common method. Would like to hear about setups in each tool head.

I asked a similar question a couple of months ago about purchasing a CP2000 just for processing, then I had a thought about skipping the CP2000 and automating my current 1050 to do both process and load 223. Then use the money for the CP2000 towards automating the current press. I asked what made more sense to automate or to buy a CP2000. Someone on the board pointed out essentially he wished had not purchased a second press for processing. He made the suggestion to me that I just swap processes on the 1050 when I performed maintenance. You remove the tool head anyway for the major maintenance cycle. I get typically 7,500-10,000 rounds before I have to do a major maintenance cycle. After looking at the cost of the CP2000 with the RT1500 you are essentially pretty close to the price of an 1100. And you can’t load on the CP2000. This path made the most sense to me. 

I have purchased everything but the spare tool head to create a processing tool head for 223. I have question about possible die setups as well. From digging on the board it seems the Forster die is pretty popular for a sizing die, but I don’t know which one exactly. I will be following to see others suggestions as well. I have a set of standard Dillon dies I was going to use for processing but I would like more input on the Forster die, before I start. 

I am trying to sort this mess out now with a 750XL and a Lee APP.  If a 1100 is in you budget that is the way I would go for sure and would have probably gotten one if I understood the process better when I was shopping.  I have the RCBS small base sizing die and like it a lot I sized 500 cases and every single one gauged correctly.  Don't try it without case lube and One Shot is NOT case lube, I tried it despite reading about it and first case I tired got stuck.  I then made my own with lanolin and 99% alcohol and ran 500 without one stuck case.

Without supporting the shell plate like the 1100 does I dont see how swaging will work well on the 750.  I have a Swage it and it does work just not that well.  The Lee APP does work and I processed a bunch of brass entirely on that press decap, swage, sized and trimmed.  The case collator and really the whole press is kind of flimsy but it does actually work and can be pretty fast and TBH I am actually amazed how well it does work. 

The swaging on the APP was about the same for me as the swage it was on the 750, it works but left some of the pockets very tight.  I am going to try it again and see if I can't adjust it get a better swage.  I do have a BA go no go gauge too.  Trimming on the APP was not really great idea and I ordered a RT1500 I am going to set up on a second toolhead but still waiting on a 223 trim die. 

For now I am planning to decap and swage once on the APP, case lube and load in 750, size with RBCS die, swage a second time and trim with RT1500.   Swap to loading toolhead with Lyman M die, dillon powder funnel, Lee seating and crimp dies then run them through vibratory dry media to remove lube.  That is three step process with the 750 and only two step process on the 1100 since the swage actually works.

• 2 weeks later...

First time seeing a Lee APP.

I currently have a 650 with two heads; one to size, deprime, and trim.  The second to load on.  Primer pocket swaging is on a Dillon Swagging press between runs.

Prep the brass in one run, 510 in a run.  Stage the primer pockets if needed.  Clean to delube. Then load.

I have swaged pistol on the APP and it works pretty good. Still get an occasional tight one. Had the early swager’s that left the brass rings in the pockets but have gotten that fixed. One other thing that makes sizing 223 easier is the carbide expander ball de-capper rod that Redding sells. Slides out of the neck much easier without pulling the shoulder.