Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

29 minutes ago, IL-SIG said:

I am a CRO. Asking someone to intentionally violate a major safety rule that would result in a DQ is an absolutely horrible idea and should never be condoned. What would the explanation be if that person accidentally shot them self or someone else?  Never encourage or request someone to intentionally violate a safety rule that puts anyone in danger!

I wondered about that but I’m sure it would have been done safely. Made a simulated loaded gun?

At my first RO CLASS we were doing our range day and one of the students had a new open gun. The RMI told him to do something like perform a foot fault maybe. Anyway he gets the beep and takes off in a dead sprint to each target and shot it point blank. I “think” he got tossed from the course?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, IL-SIG said:

I am a CRO. Asking someone to intentionally violate a major safety rule that would result in a DQ is an absolutely horrible idea and should never be condoned. What would the explanation be if that person accidentally shot them self or someone else?  Never encourage or request someone to intentionally violate a safety rule that puts anyone in danger!

Dan,

You are correct.  As initially described that was a bad example, but it was done safely.  One of the club members that was helping out with the class had an Open gun that did not go into slide lock when the magazine was empty.  IIRC it was Dave Clark (A6252... yes, a 4 digit USPSA number!). He went through the motions of loading and making ready with an empty magazine so there was no danger to anyone.   My apologies for not adding that detail.

Another student was told to put a foot way over a charge line (like about 2') while engaging the first 2 targets in a 4 target array, then pick up his foot and engage the last 2.  The number of procedural calls on that one generated quite the discussion on "advantage gained".....

BC

Edited by BillChunn
8 hours ago, Sarge said:

I wondered about that but I’m sure it would have been done safely. Made a simulated loaded gun?

At my first RO CLASS we were doing our range day and one of the students had a new open gun. The RMI told him to do something like perform a foot fault maybe. Anyway he gets the beep and takes off in a dead sprint to each target and shot it point blank. I “think” he got tossed from the course?

Mafia hit man?   In training?  😂

BC

10 hours ago, BillChunn said:

Dan,

You are correct.  As initially described that was a bad example, but it was done safely.  One of the club members that was helping out with the class had an Open gun that did not go into slide lock when the magazine was empty.  IIRC it was Dave Clark (A6252... yes, a 4 digit USPSA number!). He went through the motions of loading and making ready with an empty magazine so there was no danger to anyone.   My apologies for not adding that detail.

Another student was told to put a foot way over a charge line (like about 2') while engaging the first 2 targets in a 4 target array, then pick up his foot and engage the last 2.  The number of procedural calls on that one generated quite the discussion on "advantage gained".....

BC

Thanks Bill. I’m certainly glad everyone was safe. From my point of view, that is the most important role we have as ROs. 

I knew three CROs who took the individual one-on-one instruction.  This was a decade or so ago.  I do not remember the exact name of the program.

They were very good ROs to begin and were very good CROs.

I have had mandated on-line training.  So good and some so-so.

No offense intended but being an RO is not being a rocket scientist. However, considering the nature of the multi-gun class a few years ago in AZ was poor.  Reading the rules out loud is not instruction.

So in-person and on-line can work effectively just as well as not.  It depends on the instruction or course material.

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I have been searching and have not found any NROI certification classes in Texas, let alone my area. 

Checked the link link on USPSA site. Did most of y’all who received the NROI get it by traveling a far distance? 

I inquired with my local club, it didn’t seem like we would get the required number, but I will keep trying. Any advice is appreciated. 

Edited by Shootingaggie

Contact section coordinator or Area director. If they are any good at all they will know where to find one or will create one if needed

On 1/12/2021 at 2:17 PM, MikeBurgess said:

this has always been one of my complaints with USPSA, I think that one thing they should do is provide free RO classes, making people pay so they can officiate our sport is dumb

rant off

when I taught SO classes for IDPA I discovered if the classes were free, i had a lot of people drop out. If i charged a nominal fee of $20, more people came. 

when i host  RO classes at my club i charge $30 but i also feed you pretty well.  

my program is mature snd can afford to pay the difference. 

otherwise, speak with your AD. He may be able to come up with some solutions. 

On 3/13/2021 at 10:07 AM, Shootingaggie said:

I have been searching and have not found any NROI certification classes in Texas, let alone my area. 

Checked the link link on USPSA site. Did most of y’all who received the NROI get it by traveling a far distance? 

I inquired with my local club, it didn’t seem like we would get the required number, but I will keep trying. Any advice is appreciated. 

The Brazosland Pistoleros will be hosting a RO class in the near future to help support the Area 4 Steel Challenge Championship. If anyone is interested message me here. Slots will go to those working the match first, then open up to the general public. 

31 minutes ago, vluc said:

Are there trainers assigned to Areas, or is it a free for all, whoever you can get?

You go through HQ and they assign an RMI.

We have a club 30 miles away putting on a RO class I told all my guys you take it and pass the test our club will cut you a check for the cost of the class.  The class is in less than a month and only 4 people that I know of from my club have signed up.  This is why I never put one on lots of big talk about taking the class until its time to take it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/16/2021 at 8:51 PM, rustychev said:

We have a club 30 miles away putting on a RO class I told all my guys you take it and pass the test our club will cut you a check for the cost of the class.  The class is in less than a month and only 4 people that I know of from my club have signed up.  This is why I never put one on lots of big talk about taking the class until its time to take it.

If that was anywhere in Texas, I’d be there!

On 1/12/2021 at 12:17 PM, MikeBurgess said:

this has always been one of my complaints with USPSA, I think that one thing they should do is provide free RO classes, making people pay so they can officiate our sport is dumb

rant off

I agree with this as well.  USPSA should take its vast war chest and use it to pay the RMIs to teach.

I took the course in 2010, which allowed me to staff major matches.  When I was in school and had no income, it was the only way to get to shoot majors, so I did it.

I wouldn't dare let mine lapse because I couldn't pay for it again.

USPSA is a VOLUNTEER  SPORT !!!!!!!!!!!!! Give up your time, your travel expenses, and a jacked up FEE  for the love of the game ! And then work your arse off, again for free,,, cause without you matches cant continue !

Well unless you are a BOD or a hoity toity,,, then you expect a free ride all expenses paid vacation.

Asinine that USPSA charges for RO classes. Even more asinine the membership tolerates it.

An email and/or a call to your AD is the right way to make these suggestions.

Complaining about it here serves no real purpose, except to maybe get this thread Closed. 

Geeze, what are you guys paying for seminars? I think mine was MAYBE 30 bucks? That included donuts and pizza. I sometimes wonder why I volunteer so much because it really costs more than one might think. But unless a club is flush with cash classes will never be free.

58 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

USPSA is a VOLUNTEER  SPORT !!!!!!!!!!!!! Give up your time, your travel expenses, and a jacked up FEE  for the love of the game ! And then work your arse off, again for free,,, cause without you matches cant continue !

Well unless you are a BOD or a hoity toity,,, then you expect a free ride all expenses paid vacation.

Asinine that USPSA charges for RO classes. Even more asinine the membership tolerates it.

Hm.  Last I knew, any particular competition type (no matter what sport) required time, travel, and a fee to enter competition.  Haven't noticed anything surprising about any amount for USPSA recently...especially in terms of "jacked up FEE" sorts of things.

As for working---people don't have to work.  If it hurts a person, they probably shouldn't do it.  Other people enjoy it, while others like to give back to the sport. 

As for BoD getting free rides---I don't know about other ADs, but mine pays for almost all of his matches (the only way we've managed to get him to take a free match is to refund his payment, since he tends to register and pay like a normal person, even if he has ALREADY said he is going to help by working the match.  And he pays his own travel and time...just like the rest of us.

So if your AD does something different, that sounds like a discussion with him.

As for RO classes---it costs to hold a class.  That's simply how it is, just like any other service.  It interests me that people are having trouble with a $30 or $50 fee for a day-and-a-half class, especially given that many, many clubs will subsidize or flat-out PAY for any of their members to get certified.

But people fixate on all sorts of things.

Pretty much none of the things listed above are factually true for people in my area.  They might be true elsewhere, and I wouldn't know.

But none of that is any sort of argument for change from the facts in my area.

45 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Geeze, what are you guys paying for seminars? I think mine was MAYBE 30 bucks? That included donuts and pizza. I sometimes wonder why I volunteer so much because it really costs more than one might think. But unless a club is flush with cash classes will never be free.

I agree with you here. I know anymore everyone wants everything for free, but it's a pretty well-understood principle that people value what they pay for more than what they get for free, whether that's college or an RO class.

I was thinking the instructors taught the class for free too, and the class fees was just to pay for their travel expenses and maybe a range fee if required.  Least that is what i remember from when i took the class, but it has been a while.  My class was 30 or dollars so and a good investment.  

USPSA charges $40 per student and covers the RMI travel expenses to and from the location.  The club has to cover the cost of the seminar room, and the hotel, rental car (if they don't drive the RMI around), and meals for the RMI once he/she arrives.  It is all outlined on the USPSA website: https://uspsa.org/pages/nroi/seminar

Some clubs have nice classrooms at their range which are free of charge, other don't.  Renting a space for one day can sometimes be very expensive and usually is why some classes cost more than others.  

Not just a USPSA thing guys. I'm an IPSC shooter and RO. we in my section don't charge for the RO courses, usually the venue is free, the instructors offer up their time. Unfortunately even with everything free we get a lot of folks saying they are going to attend then don't turn up or even notify that they're not coming. Very disappointing when you have 30 people have committed and less than half turn up.   

12 hours ago, terrydoc said:

Not just a USPSA thing guys. I'm an IPSC shooter and RO. we in my section don't charge for the RO courses, usually the venue is free, the instructors offer up their time. Unfortunately even with everything free we get a lot of folks saying they are going to attend then don't turn up or even notify that they're not coming. Very disappointing when you have 30 people have committed and less than half turn up.   

Thats a good reason for charging a nominal fee. People are more likely to show up if. 

I think the fee is fine, it can go towards the cost of instructor. The hard part is setting up the hotel, car and meals. That can add up pretty quickly. USPSA should allow the fee to cover those expenses if they won’t.