Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 3-gun shotgun needed

DJohnson

I know now might not be the best time to purchase a gun with supply and demand upping prices but i need to get something soon. I have a line on the following guns. 

Girsan MC312 Sport Blue 600

Girsan MC312 Sport Black 550

Stoeger M3K Freedom 750

Beretta 1301 Comp Pro 1500

Mossberg JM 940 Pro 1100

I know there is a vast difference in price and quality and some guns (maybe all) need work or more work than others. 

I appreciate any feedback.

Have you considered an original 1301 Comp (non pro)? As someone who has both, to me the Comp is the better gun and cheaper as well. Perhaps worth a look if you want to save some money and still get a great shotgun. 

The Stoeger is about the cheapest option that actually has some degree of aftermarket support. I don't know much about the Girsans, and it might be possible to overhaul one into a decent competition gun; but I'm not aware of any good turnkey solutions for that. I'd suspect that you'd be buying parts/upgrades from other guns and modifying them to fit. The Stoeger has some cross-compatibility with the M2, and there are several shops (most notably MOA Precision) making purpose-built competition parts for them. If you don't want to commit to the cost of the 1301, it's a better option than the Girsans by far.

Since you said that you've got a line on those specific models, I won't dwell on discussing the pros/cons of other models (Franchi, Benelli, etc.), but I'll note that they exist, and would give you a few more options in the continuum of prices that you've identified.

18 hours ago, DJohnson said:

I know now might not be the best time to purchase a gun with supply and demand upping prices but i need to get something soon. I have a line on the following guns. 

Girsan MC312 Sport Blue 600

Girsan MC312 Sport Black 550

Stoeger M3K Freedom 750

Beretta 1301 Comp Pro 1500

Mossberg JM 940 Pro 1100

I know there is a vast difference in price and quality and some guns (maybe all) need work or more work than others. 

I appreciate any feedback.

The Beretta 1301 Comp Pro is a buy once cry once deal and really shouldn't be compared to the rest but that looks like a REALLY nice shotgun!  If you are considering that level of a gun I would probably put the Benelli M2 on your list to at least take a look at. 

I think the recoil management on the 1301 is something to consider. Also consider you will still need some mods like an extended mag tube and possibly some work to further open up the loading port.  At that point something like the $1895 Benelli from Hawkeye Ordnance would be a better deal IMO.

That being said, I just got started in 3 Gun in 2020 and went out and bought the MK3 Freedom and have been very happy with it.  I shot it out of the box for two matches last year.  It cycles low power estate or any other std target load shot.  I still have issues with the Fiocchi slugs though but plan to get a replacement spring from MOA this winter.  I spent some time recently shooting clays with it and just cut the stock down to shorten LOP and it now really fits me really well.  It does hit somewhat hard about as hard as my Browning Citori but not near as hard as on old Winchester 1400 gas gun which is what I have to compare with.  The recoil mgt stock on the Beretta looks like something I would be interested.  On you list the MK3 is the only one you can buy and take straight to a match which IMO is a great place to start especially at the price point.

I know a lot of people use the JM Pro without issue but I have heard of a lot of people having issues. I think the fact that it is a gas driven gun is enough for me to consider the Stoeger over it.

Another vote for the Beretta 1301 Comp Pro.  The 1301 Comp (non-Pro) is OK, but considerable work will have to be done to open up the loading port.

Pros:

Light weight

runs everything from 1145fps loads to Prairie Storm

very soft shooting

shoots slugs to point of aim, very accurately

cycles very fast

comes with a nice hard case

Cons:

Price

needs an extended magazine tube

I personally don't like the funky stock and the handguard is not as grippy as the 1301 (non-Pro)

Take it out of the box, clean and lube it, screw an extended magazine tube on it and it is ready to use in a match.

• 1 month later...