Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Single stage press recommendations

I want to get started reloading and the consensus seems to be to get a single stage press first and get a good grasp of the basics before moving to a progressive press. I primarily shoot pistol but recently bought a 6.5 Creedmore so I can still make good use of a single stage press after moving to a progressive. Does anyone have suggestions for a single stage press or kit and good or bad experiences? Thanks.

Ken - Go to youtube and watch the video by Gavin Toobe - Ultimate Reloader. He has a 20 min video on comparing the goods and bads of 10-15 different single stage reloaders..

Also - I have a 30 year old RCBS Rock Chucker I still use for load development and “dirty work”...I recently ran up on a deal for the newest just recently released RCBS - Rebel single stage loader and bought one - this thing is a BEAST....Mark

I also started with a rockchucker, it was a good, solid single stage press and here come the but,

look at a Dillon 550, use it as a turret press, load only 1 case at a time until you get the hang of it

im guessing within a couple hundred rounds, you’ll be loading progressively 

I have several single stage presses and my favorite is very much the Forster Coax.  The die switching is amazing and far better than and O press IMO.  With quality dies, like Forster, it is easy to load concentric ammo.  We can go down a whole rabbit hole about concentricity, die floating and all that, but I won't.  I have a Rockchucker IV and it's not even set up right now.  I have a Lee Classic cast setup that I use for bullet pulling.  Since the Forster is so easy to set up and change dies, I do load development on it with a powder dispenser.  Depending on the what it is I am loading, I mostly load on a Dillon after a load development.  I do not shoot long range competition just 3 gun, but I do shoot out to 700 yards with some regularity.  If your going to load rifle with any consideration of longer range, a chronograph and understanding why low SD's are important is something else to consider.  The older I get the more picky I am.  If I was doing a turret, which is worth consideration, I think the T7 is worth considering.

I watched Gavin Toobe’s comparison video, it was pretty impressive. He really took a scientific approach in comparing a lot of presses. I’m sure I’ll get a single stage press at some point, but I really like rishii’s idea of getting a Dillon 550 and loading one round at a time until I get used to it. That would get me into a a progressive press that I could work into. Thanks to everyone for your input.

I don’t have any equipment now and I realize with the current shortage due to Covid-19 it’ll be a while before it’s readily available. I figured this is the time to do the research and decide the best way to start. 

9 hours ago, Kenj59 said:

I don’t have any equipment now and I realize with the current shortage due to Covid-19 it’ll be a while before it’s readily available. I figured this is the time to do the research and decide the best way to start. 

You're not wrong, but I'd suggest buying a book or two first. There's not a lot you can do without primers.

• 1 month later...

Yup, you need a few essentials; an accurate scale to weigh things, weight set for scale calibration, a kinetic (hammer) bullet puller, a second  scale to verify with, a set of calipers to measure things, a sturdy bench or three to work on, lots of bins to organize stuff, a tumbler and media to clean brass, a media separator, good sources of light so you can inspect things, a quality powder measure to drop precise charges, shell blocks to hold your cases when charging and inspecting, marking, counting and admiring your production.

A place to reload undisturbed, undistracted and secure. Reloading manuals, the latest copies or old are better than none.  Secure, safe ways to store powders and primers, dry & cool.

Maybe a bench priming tool and also a hand held also. Primer tray(s) to flip 'em with. Get a square tray, so the primer package thingy fits inside. Plastics trays are fine, no need for a big heavy metal one. Get more than one so less chance of mixing things up later on. Primer pick-up tubes, both large primers and small.

A chamfer tool to smooth out new brass case mouths.

Case lube and lube pad (covered). Case gauge(s) to verify with.

REMEMBER, only the jug of powder you're using allowed out on the bench. Empty the measure Back into the jug when done, don't leave powder in the measure. Shelves for boxes of bullet heads under the bench, keep the heavy stuff down low 'n help the bench be more anchored.

Notebook(s) to log things in. Some day a chronograph, they do help understanding things.

My first press was a Lyman SparT turret. I still use it set up with a Dillon trimmer and various trim dies. But I learned to load on it and therefore is special. My next couple presses were Dillon 550's. Back then Dillon only offered 450, 550, Square Deal B auto index and 1050. I've run a friend's SqDB and it was ok, but 550 is less trouble, you just have to keep track of your powder drop, but you'd BETTER do that anyhow. I also have an old RCBS Rockchucker single stage got a deal on. That is set up with Hornady lock-n-load conversion and bushings for easy die swaps. The chucker is a good single stage for sure,  but I mostly use it for de-capping. Despite that, it is fine all around.

The most finicky and most important part of reloading is setting the dies up, just so.

Having to swap out a die that you fiddled with to get it just right, is a bummer. You have to re-do it all over again to use it the next time.

That's why rishii says you will move on to a 550 or other multi die head press in short order. The 550 has four die station tool heads that are quick, easy and reasonably priced. Once set up, it's a cinch to swap over to a different caliber or even just a different type of loading of the same.

The Dillon dies are also very good and easy to use and maintain. I've found the Dillon powder measures and everything else they offer, to be top notch. I have around 8 tool head caliber conversion set ups, dies, shell plates, etc., 4 powder measures, a primer pocket swager tool, motorized case trimmer, many powder bars and my old Dillon digital scale that I've used for since 1990 something. None of it has been any problem. 

Back in the day, I did break a bell crank casting and they sent me a new one red label, no charge. I was up and running again before the next match, never missed a beat. You just cannot complain about Dillon customer service and no b's warranty. No b's. Now that Mike Dillon has passed over the bar, I can't say things are still as great today. But I my money is on it that they still are. 

So best wishes with your reloading. Stay safe, watch what you are doing and enjoy!

Edited by pshooter

• 1 month later...

If I could only keep one of my single stage presses, it would be the Redding Ultramag.  It's everything I look for in a single stage, with all the leverage one could possibly need for anything reasonable.  And... I do know that this is a rather old thread...

4 hours ago, NETim said:

I've run my trusty old RCBS Jr. press since I bought it new in '79.   Old school cast iron frame.   

It has loaded many, many rounds.  

I broke 2 cheap Lee's (the frame) (they were $25.00 back in the day) then I got the RCBS jr, its done many thousands of 223 (just deprime and sizing),  loading is done on the Hornady L&L.

Since the OP made his post in January, I'm going to assume he has already bought his press. However I just wanted to point out to anyone else in his position that if you are on a budget, consider buying used.  Most presses, the RCBS Rockchucker in particular are extremely durable and will last far longer than the average user does.  Catch someone who is upgrading from a single stage to a progressive and you can save $$$.  I replaced my 50 year old RCBS Jr with a Rockchucker a friend gave me and that Jr has a ton of life left in it for someone looking for a starter press.  Someday I'll run across a newbie and give it to them to get them started, as I've done with other reloading equipment.