Jump to content
Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommended Posts

True, at 45 you are not within the age category but may qualify for others. Appendix D of the SCSA rulebook:

 

Competitors may enter more than one category. For example, an individual may qualify for (and enter) both the Junior and Women’s categories.
LADY

Competitors listed as female on their government issued ID
LAW ENFORCEMENT
Full-time law enforcement officers with arrest powers

MILITARY

Military personnel on current active duty orders
PRE-TEEN
All competitors under 13 years old on the first day of the event qualify. See Junior Category for additional rules and guidelines

JUNIOR All competitors 13-17 years old on the first day of the event qualify. All competitors under the age of 18 must be accompanied by their parent or guardian throughout the competition. If the parent/guardian is competing in the event, they must be squadded together. All Junior or Pre-teen competitors must be able to safely handle a loaded firearm. A liability waiver must be signed by both the competitor and their parent or legal guardian
SENIOR
All competitors who are 55-64 years of age on the first day of the event qualify

SUPER SENIOR

All competitors who are 65 years of age or older on the first day of the event qualify

 

BC

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I notice at the matches that more and more of the shooters have gray hair and are older, some much older.  I am beginning to wonder if the gap between everyone (under age 55), senior (55-64), and super senior (ages 65 plus), is not narrow enough?

 

What about Distinguished Super Senior, age 75 plus?  Above that we could have Really Ancient Distinguished Super Senior, age 85 plus, then above that............... 

 

The above is said mostly tongue-in-cheek.  And yes, I am about to turn age 75 (however, I am still very competitive in the Super Senior division).

 

If this post constitutes hijacking this thread my apologies.  My sense of humor some times gets the best of me.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PractricalUse said:

What about Distinguished Super Senior, age 75 plus?

 

Having hit 76 on Wednesday last, that division sounds good.

I can't keep up with the young whippersnappers in their 60s.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, bigdawgbeav said:

I'm personally advocating for a "Junior Senior" category of 40-55 (possibly called Sub-Senior... name is still up in the air)

 

At the Briley West Coast Steel Championships, as well as the traditional age categories, we recognized & had an award for our "Sub-Senior" 50-55 year old category.

 

Not intended to be "Everybody wins, participation awards", age category & gender awards are extra incentive & motivation to enter, prepare, train & compete at the best level they possibly can, both against the clock and others in their category.

 

I hope that SCSA would consider establishing "Sub-Senior" (50-55), "Distinguished Senior" (70-75) and "Distinguished Super Senior" (75+) categories. As one ages, it really does become increasingly more difficult to seriously compete (or even at all) in our (or any other) sport. For those who don't understand or comprehend this, you WILL in a few years- assuming you are still motivated, can deal with all of the challenges life throws at you AND stick around long enough to be eligible for these categories. 

Edited by Jim O'Young
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jim O'Young said:

 

 

At the Briley West Coast Steel Championships, as well as the traditional age categories, we recognized & had an award for our "Sub-Senior" 50-55 year old category.

 

Not intended to be "Everybody wins, participation awards", age category & gender awards are extra incentive & motivation to enter, prepare, train & compete at the best level they possibly can, both against the clock and others in their category.

 

I hope that SCSA would consider establishing "Sub-Senior" (50-55), "Distinguished Senior" (70-75) and "Distinguished Super Senior" (75+) categories. As one ages, it really does become increasingly more difficult to seriously compete (or even at all) in our (or any other) sport. For those who don't understand or comprehend this, you WILL in a few years- assuming you are still motivated, can deal with all of the challenges life throws at you AND stick around long enough to be eligible for these categories. 

Some good Ideas Jim ( BTW hope you can make worlds this time ) shooters have no idea just how much age makes a difference in ones ability to compete with other younger shooters.... but they will if they live long enough  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, xpierrat said:

Some good Ideas Jim ( BTW hope you can make worlds this time ) shooters have no idea just how much age makes a difference in ones ability to compete with other younger shooters.... but they will if they live long enough  :)

 

As I have been discovering, the slippery slope keeps getting steeper. No matter how hard you fight, strength, speed, endurance, eyesight, mindset & motivation all degrade with time & age. No matter how good you are, there's one other competitor who'll ALWAYS end up winning. His name is "Father Time"... 

 

You put aside all of life's distractions and continue on with the same focus that you had when you first started: do the best you can and have fun because you truly love it. Fight for that $10 medal because you'll always have the memories of that title and the journey you took to win it. 🙏

 

If Covid or lack of ammo don't derail my preparations, I'll be in Talladega in April. 🤞 If they do, I'll plan on being there when the world returns to a reasonable level of normalcy and I'll race with the rest of you dinosaurs for Super Senior! 😁

Link to post
Share on other sites

The other thing about aging and shooting, to quote my friend and gunsmith, "The older I get, the better I used to be."

 

I will say though, that at age 74 I am having the most fun shooting that I have had.  I not longer worry about a bad match.  Yes, I like to fell like I did well, but being with friends and having fun is what it is all about.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PractricalUse said:

The other thing about aging and shooting, to quote my friend and gunsmith, "The older I get, the better I used to be."

 

I will say though, that at age 74 I am having the most fun shooting that I have had.  I not longer worry about a bad match.  Yes, I like to fell like I did well, but being with friends and having fun is what it is all about.

 

And that my friend, IS what it's all about...🍻

 

Edited by Jim O'Young
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...