Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&B SRP, how are they?

balmo

Scraping the bottom of the barrel in our club, I bought some Sellier & Bellot small rifle primers? Just from observation the primer cup is more squared off than Fed, CCI, Win. 

So how are they in your experience. I am going to use it for STI Limited 40, with extended fp. I was banking that it will be alright since 2011/1911 have strong ignition.

Never used in S&B rifle primers in pistols, but I have used several thousand S&B small pistol primers in 9mm and S&B small rifle primers in 223. They were the cheapest primers at Cabelas near Atlanta for years so I got some regularly. Bet they will work fine.

For me they were terrible for 9MAJOR. Would not always ignite the powder. Did a test with just primed cases. Very weak fire compared to other primers. Maybe I had a bad batch but I’ll never buy again.

Ive had opposite experience in 9major.  It’s the only thing I’ll shoot in a match that counts.  Prob 65k now and zero problems other than upside down.  
haven’t tried in .40 but as long as extended fp and normal range main spring, I would be worried

2 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

S&B (and pretty much all European primers) fit very snugly in primer pockets.

I bet some of the problems with poor ignition have been from people thinking they were seated all the way.

When I fired S&B primed cases in the garage barely any flame exited the barrel and the report was probably half of CCI or Federal

33 minutes ago, Sarge said:

When I fired S&B primed cases in the garage barely any flame exited the barrel and the report was probably half of CCI or Federal

That sucks.  Maybe a crappy lot.

I've only used them (S&B SRP and LRP) in rifle cartridges and have had nothing but good performance out of them.

My 308 Win precision rifle loads with S&B LRP have an SD of 3 and ES of 8. 

Used a lot of the small pistol primers from S&B. If you can get them, get them!! I used to buy them at Cabela's for as low as $17/1k....good old times. Never had a problem with them, but I am just a hobby shooter.

If I had a chance to buy some, I would jump on them.

I used a few thousand of both large and small a few years ago. One observation was they are very hard compared to Win and Fed of course, but they went bang. You can also notice a clear difference when seating them in the pocket. 

Loaded 30 rounds of 40sw with S&B SRP. The primers seated just fine just about the same effort as other SRP. Just need some range time to test for ignition

S&B to the left, Win SRP right for refrence

20210110_130719.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 5:29 PM, Sigarmsp226 said:

Anxious to read your range report as I have 5000 of these exact primers in my inventory that I bought several years back from Cabela’s for $17.50 per thousand...Mark

okay, finally able to test these primers; 10 rounds rapid fire no problems igniting with 2011.