Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hammer Bob S&W 625

Drillbit

Thank you gentlemen.

I'll do the search for "carmonized hammer".....   

10 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

You still have to work the main spring and rebound spring to get a lighter trigger. 

I will look into this also.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, as hard as I'ved tried, I can not find any post with Mike Carmony describing his 'hammer bob" prosses, or pictures.

Next I have to ask what does it take to drill through one of these hammers?  I thought they were only surfaced hardened.

My drills are not cheep. I knew right away it was a no go 

The picture below is what I'm shooting for. I thought I would drill out the places I wanted to remove and then use the Dremel with stones to finish with.... Not looking good for me at this point.  

Suggestions. 

Hammer bob4.jpg

3 hours ago, NoSteel said:

With the above photo as reference if your going that far why not go all the way?. Cut and blends to marks shown..

4DFC1B15-3EC7-4DC9-A306-6BE59A2EE910.jpeg

Be careful as cutting that hammer like that is fine, it is not legal for IDPA.

USPSA and ICORE it would be fine.

OP didn't state what sport they were shooting.

5 hours ago, NoSteel said:

With the above photo as reference if your going that far why not go all the way?. Cut and blends to marks shown..

4DFC1B15-3EC7-4DC9-A306-6BE59A2EE910.jpeg

I can't say for sure. Just didn't want to go that far right away I guess.... Hell, I can't even drill through the areas I wanted to remove.

1 hour ago, Bosshoss said:

Be careful as cutting that hammer like that is fine, it is not legal for IDPA.

USPSA and ICORE it would be fine.

OP didn't state what sport they were shooting.

I will be shooting ICORE and IDPA,

20 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

the hammers are very hard as with all the MIM parts on Smith revos. to drill through you will probably want/need a carbide bit and a drill press/mill. 

I had no idea. I have a new respect for MIM.

You need a 2 straight flute solid carbide drill for those. Use it dry, with no cutting fluid of any kind. It will walk right through. Use a drill press.  A hand drill will break the bit because you don't have enough stability to keep side loads off of it.

14 hours ago, Toolguy said:

You need a 2 straight flute solid carbide drill for those. Use it dry, with no cutting fluid of any kind. It will walk right through. Use a drill press.  A hand drill will break the bit because you don't have enough stability to keep side loads off of it.

Where would I get such a thing, and would it be expensive?

On 3/25/2021 at 7:49 AM, Toolguy said:

Yes, you can resharpen them. You can use a diamond wheel or green wheel. If you want, send it to me and I will sharpen it for free and send it back.

Thank you for the kind offer.

I have a drill bit sharpener, haven't used it In a long time but it may have a diamond wheel.  If not, I'll get back to you.

Also, what do you use to measure your trigger pull weight?  

On 3/26/2021 at 4:49 PM, Toolguy said:

I have an industrial push-pull gage that probably cost $300 new, but the Lyman digital one seems to be good from the things I've read online.

I bought the Lyman, it's telling me the pull weight is 5.5lbs. on average.  It's lighting off Fed LPP good but real hit and miss with Winchester.

17 hours ago, Toolguy said:

A 5.5 Lb DA is really good. Winchester is harder than Federal. You may have to go to 6.5 or 7 to be reliable with Win. primers.

Thanks. 

I checked my drill bit sharpener and it does have a diamond  wheel.  What degree should I use to sharpen the bit?