Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

24 minutes ago, Drillbit said:

I want to bob the hammer on my 625-8. The part of course is MIM. Can I grind the hammer spur as if it were machined steel?  

The hammer is made of steel.  Doesn't matter how the steel was shaped into a hammer.

I've bobbed two of them.  One on a 625 PC and one on a 637. 

Edited by SGT_Schultz

Yep, cuts and grinds like any other.

I have one I wish wasn't cut. I'd offer to trade, but yours won't match my gun. (A 325PD I'm kicking around selling) 

Edited by cas

Just be careful with the grinding.  You don't want to put too much heat into the part.  I'd use a cut off wheel on an angle grinder to remove the spur, then belt sander or Dremel to do the final shaping.

4 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

Just be careful with the grinding.  You don't want to put too much heat into the part. 

There's no way you can put enough heat from grinding and polishing with a dremel to affect the case hardening.  And even if you did, it would happen on a surface that sees no impact loads.

People are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Edited by SGT_Schultz
11 hours ago, Drillbit said:

Thank you very much.

My plan was to just remove the hammer spur. I have seen some that are almost flush with frame... Thoughts?

The lighter you make the hammer the better your trigger will be.  Remember to change your springs.  I use an 11 pound rebound spring.  You may want to start with a 13.  You can also loosen the main spring to get a lighter pull. If you do, use some blue Loctite to keep it in position.

There is no problem to grinding off the hammer spur.

It sounds easy enough, but I ordered a hammer from Numrich Gun Parts to get started on.  If it turns out ok I'll use it. If not, I still have a hammer.

Edited by Drillbit

When you bob your hammer spur, be sure your rims are not burred and your clips are flat.

I like to be able to ease the hammer enough to drop the cylinder stop and roll the cylinder to be sure it turns freely.

On 1/9/2021 at 2:19 PM, Drillbit said:

I want to bob the hammer on my 625-8. The part of course is MIM. Can I grind the hammer spur as if it were machined steel?  

Personally I have a 627 and a 625 with cut hammers I did the full "Carmonize" on them they are cut from where they sit flush in the frame at the top in a straight line about 1/8-1/4" behind the hammer stud hole, I have 10s of thousands of rounds on the 627 with no issues and that is the one that is cut the smallest, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

4 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

Personally I have a 627 and a 625 with cut hammers I did the full "Carmonize" on them they are cut from where they sit flush in the frame at the top in a straight line about 1/8-1/4" behind the hammer stud hole, I have 10s of thousands of rounds on the 627 with no issues and that is the one that is cut the smallest, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

That was one of my questions. How low can I / should I go. 

Thanks