Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Coil Spring Speed Hammer KIT

BadShot

After sleeping on it, I am retracting everything I said. TK Custom is a top drawer company, and their products have always been best of show. This hammer probably is too. It should be judged on it's own merits over the course of time, not just one person's first impression. I wish them All the Best.

Edited by Toolguy

47 minutes ago, Toolguy said:

Looking at the geometry, I would think that one would stack quite a bit. "Stacking" is where a coil spring gets harder to push the more you compress it. It will be interesting to see how that one works out.

Okay Warren, not trying to be argumentative, what in the geometry do you see that would cause excessive stacking? It looks like they added a couple more friction points.

Charlie Prest, the guy that started this 8-shot revolution was my sponsor years ago.  He did a coil spring conversion on my 625 that improved the trigger a lot.  This was when a 7 pound trigger was considered as low as you could go.  I had no problems busting Federal and Winchester primers.

This conversion looks an awful lot like Charlie's.  It will  work.

21 hours ago, BadShot said:

I got an email about this from TK Custom(Adjustable Coil Spring Speed Hammer Kit for S&W N-Frame - TK Custom).  In this time of spotty primer availability, it might be an interesting way to adjust spring tension.  

It's not clear, but I assume the inside of the grip frame needs to be machined to fit that big huge spring base?

6 hours ago, ysrracer said:

It says it's adjustable from 6.5 to 9. My 627 is already at 6.5, and if I need any more spring tension I just screw in the strain screw.

Isn't that what you guys do?

I tend to add a slightly longer strain screw and depending on how much added a heavier rebound spring.

2 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

It's not clear, but I assume the inside of the grip frame needs to be machined to fit that big huge spring base?

No. The frames are already like that from the factory.

On 1/8/2021 at 3:57 PM, BadShot said:

I only have S&W revolvers, are other brands coil springs?

as said above Rugers also Rossi I have a 44spl that looks like a K frame externally but has a coil spring lock work and it slicked up very nicely with just trimming the springs and some polishing. 

It seems to me an expensive Taurus' copy, which was a cheap alternative at S&W leaf spring..

I had on my S&W revo a little disc between spring and screw when shooting training with cheap primer, without the disc when shooting Federal or Murom S primers.

• 3 months later...

Any updates on this?

Also, there’s no modification possible to shorten the DA trigger pull right? There is a geometry change for CZ Shadows to shorten the pull.

I don’t think I’ve heard of anything for a revolver, but I’d love that option.