Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Store Pure Tungsten Guide Rod - Springs Weak?

NCJammer

So I just got the PTGR to play with in a Gen 5 17. I ordered it with both 11lb and 13lb springs (a couple of each).

I used to run a 11lb spring on my Gen 4 with the regular tungsten rod.

These fat springs seem very light compared to the "normal" size springs. The 11lb spring for the PTGR doesn't even come close to getting the slide back into battery.

Has anyone else noticed this? I ordered a couple of each of the 11lb and they are both the same. The 13lb will return it to battery.

Just curious.

Hello: Does the guide rod use a bushing in the front of the slide? If so could it be binding on the guide rod? I have had better luck using a 13lb ISMI flat spring or a 12-14lb Wolff round wire spring in Glock 17's or 34's. I don't know whose spring the Glock Store is using. Make sure your striker spring balances things out. I would do some drills to see what spring works the best for you. Thanks, Eric

I had the experience Eric suggests with a G34/35 length TGR - I don't remember if it was Glock Store or not.  It was a Gen3 type with an adaptor for the Gen4 slide.  My once reliable G35 was turned into an unreliable piece of garbage due to that setup.  Putting the old Jager steel rod back in completely resolved the issue.

I didn't even bother to try and list that for sale on here, as I wouldn't do that to anyone. 

PS, if you want to buy a knowingly bad TGR for a 34/35 length slide, with no returns and no complaints allowed, send me a PM.

4 hours ago, NCJammer said:

So I just got the PTGR to play with in a Gen 5 17. I ordered it with both 11lb and 13lb springs (a couple of each).

I used to run a 11lb spring on my Gen 4 with the regular tungsten rod.

These fat springs seem very light compared to the "normal" size springs. The 11lb spring for the PTGR doesn't even come close to getting the slide back into battery.

Has anyone else noticed this? I ordered a couple of each of the 11lb and they are both the same. The 13lb will return it to battery.

Just curious.

Noticed the same thing, even the 13 is too weak to be reliable in gen5 with 4.5lb striker spring.  Try a 15, if that doesn’t work then dump it and get a Jentra.  

5 hours ago, AHI said:

Are you sure you don't have springs for a 19 ?

IMHO, this is the closest guess to why this is happening.  Not that the OP actually has a 19 spring, but he does have a SHORT spring.

Because of the external dimensions of the Glock Marksman Barrel (the Gen5 barrel), it takes an OEM Recoil Spring Ass'y that it close to 1/3" longer than a Gen4.  A spring that is designed for the dimensions of a Gen2/3/4 RSA is going to sit loose in the Gen5 slide, exerting less pressure when the slide is closed.  Gen5's generally need one step stronger to act like a previous-Generation gun (use a 13# where you may have gotten away with an 11 in your Gen3).

Edited by Braxton1