Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Romeo 3 XL custom plate

WAlamo

Ok, so I got the S2 OR and a Romeo 3 XL. I now know the XL doesn't fit the S2 OR plate cut as it is slightly longer.  My questions are:

1) Is it possible to remove the iron sight and install a dovetail mount for the Romeo 3 XL?  I don't know if dovetail mounts fit in the S2 OR dovetail.  Guessing is a standard size but asking just in case is not.

2) Does anyone know if there is a custom plate made for the Romeo 3 XL to mount on S2 OR?  Looking at the CMORE plate, all that needs to be done is make it 2-3mm thicker and move the optic screw holes and pins back 2mm.  But it seems no parts manufacturer cares about making one.  Maybe there is someone that does custom plates.

The XL is so a nice I don't want to turn it down, would love to keep it.

I made myself a custom plate for the S2 OR to do this with a R3Max and ran it at Nationals last year, but you lose some of the advantage of the low-mount the optic cut gives you by raising it up.   Plus a little pucker-inducing with the number of R3's I'd had fail during the run up.   I don't really recommend it unless you just have to have that scope and no other will do.

1 hour ago, shred said:

I made myself a custom plate for the S2 OR to do this with a R3Max and ran it at Nationals last year, but you lose some of the advantage of the low-mount the optic cut gives you by raising it up.   Plus a little pucker-inducing with the number of R3's I'd had fail during the run up.   I don't really recommend it unless you just have to have that scope and no other will do.

I ordered it without realizing it didn't fit.  The place I bought it from will only give me credit for it and had no other sights that interested me.  The SRO was my second option.  Raising it won't bother me that much as I'm moving from Open to CO.  In Open the sight is always higher than the slide, so in terms of aiming I know what to expect.  Can you share what happen to the ones that failed?  How many of them?

18 hours ago, WAlamo said:

I ordered it without realizing it didn't fit.  The place I bought it from will only give me credit for it and had no other sights that interested me.  The SRO was my second option.  Raising it won't bother me that much as I'm moving from Open to CO.  In Open the sight is always higher than the slide, so in terms of aiming I know what to expect.  Can you share what happen to the ones that failed?  How many of them?

Running the R3Max in open I never had issues. Local buddies with them on their slides keep encountering zero issues weekly it seems. 

Yeah, look around at some of the CO threads about them.  They work great on my Open guns, but had a problem with losing windage in slide-mounts.   There are fixes and some are better than others.

On 1/10/2021 at 10:45 AM, shred said:

Yeah, look around at some of the CO threads about them.  They work great on my Open guns, but had a problem with losing windage in slide-mounts.   There are fixes and some are better than others.

I loctite the windage tensioner right out of the box, haven’t had a problem since. 

The windage tension can also be adjusted via a tiny set screw accessible when the base plate is removed. Tensioning the elevation requires bending a piece of metal. Adding some nail polish or toque sealant is definitely best practice with these optics.