Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading

allen961

Ohhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm.  Ohhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm. 

Get a reloading book and read it before you start.  You'll need an endless number of tools and widgets, so be prepared that this will not save you any money.  Women will not swoon and name babies after you.

Edited by SnipTheDog
agdfgagg

It can be a great idea but there are a bunch of caveats...

I'd spend a significant amount of time reading up on the process and poking around on this and other forums.

Get to the point where you're past the "can't see the forest for the trees" stage before you make any financial commitment.

You have to have the right mindset and be at least somewhat detail oriented.

You also have to be willing to work with equipment that is not "set it and forget it".

And like Snip says you won't be saving any money; just shooting a little bit more.

A major problem is components, specifically primers.

There is very little available through normal retail channels.

What little there is gets snapped up before you even know it was available.

You can still purchase primers off of Gunbroker but at exorbitant prices.

Of the other components bullets are next most scarce although can be had at still reasonable prices if you are patient when ordering.

Powder is not currently a problem for most but if you are looking for a specific and not interested in alternatives then you may have to wait until it comes back in stock.

Reloading isn't for everyone.  Depending on what you shoot, how much you shoot, it may or may not save you money.  I like reloading so I can cater the load to the gun.  Before the apocalypse, reloading didn't really save you that much.  Now, if you reload, trying to find components is nearly impossible.

If you decide to go down that rabbit hole, the internet is your friend.  Get a good reloading book and start with a full volume powder.  Red or blue, it's up to you.  I prefer Dillon (blue) but that's my preference.  Good luck on your journey.  

Now isn't a good time to start, unless you plan to be in it for a number of years.  As said above, get some books and read them.  Now is a good time to acquire equipment as there should be a number of deals on new or good used now and in the near future, possibly even more by the middle of January.  Don't spend much on powder, primers and bullets now as the prices should drop as the pandemic wanes.

what are your thoughts on swimming?

uh, I guess water for the pool would be helpful...

a pool would be good.

maybe a pump and filter could be handy.

water first.

I like reloading.  I have some primers.

but my range is a little closed...

so I can't shoot much right now.

If you are thinking of taking up reloading

make plans and decide what you think you want or can afford.

over the next year most items will become available.

on this forum where competition is serious and few have an interest

in tinkering, blue presses are popular...

there are a lot of little reasons for that conclusion.

miranda

Allen - My 2 cents worth - Since you shoot and I am guessing you shoot with friends or folks you have at least met while shooting - ask if someone you shoot with reloads...I have had seven or eight different people come to my home over the 30+ years I have reloaded to witness what this hobby is all about and even had two come back with their own powder, primers, and projectiles to load some rounds on my press, with my supervision, before they made their final decision....

As late as last month I was talking with a fellow shooter and friend that came over to my house about 25 years ago and he always reminds me of that day when I allowed him to “load a few rounds” on my single stage RCBS press and that was what “hooked” him and he has be reloading ever since...

I loaded on a single stage RCBS press for 10 years before ever going down the progressive rabbit hole and you can pick up a basic single stage press by a number of different reloading companies for under $200.00. Granted that is only the press but something to consider....Having someone talk to you while they are showing you what is involved in reloading was what got me started....and that person provided me guidance and support because when I started reloading Al Gore (🤣) had not yet invented the internet yet.....Mark

I never quite wrapped my head around the idea that reloading doesn't really save you much...  Last year I was loading 9mm for 10.5 cents per round and the best price for new 9mm was somewhere around 17 cents per round.  Saving 6.5 cents per round times the approx. 2K rounds per month I was shooting saved me $130/mo or $1,560/year!  That's a real savings, at least to me, not to mention getting ammo tailored specifically for my gun(s) and adding another dimension to my shooting hobby.  What am I missing?

38 minutes ago, mvmojo said:

I never quite wrapped my head around the idea that reloading doesn't really save you much...  Last year I was loading 9mm for 10.5 cents per round and the best price for new 9mm was somewhere around 17 cents per round.  Saving 6.5 cents per round times the approx. 2K rounds per month I was shooting saved me $130/mo or $1,560/year!  That's a real savings, at least to me, not to mention getting ammo tailored specifically for my gun(s) and adding another dimension to my shooting hobby.  What am I missing?

I'm guessing you also need to calculate the cost of the reloading setup. For example, if someone spends $1000 for the setup, then it would take more than 15000 rounds to break even at 6.5 cents saving per round. So for someone who shoots 15000 rounds per month, that might make sense, but for others who shoot 500 rounds per year, might not.

Then there's the time investment too in reloading.

Having said that ... I love reloading and will keep doing it until I can't find components reasonably priced anymore 😃

At the rate I shoot, my reloading set-up paid for itself in under a year.  Every year after that, I'm saving $1,500 per year.  And, I could probably sell my reloading equipment for 75% or so of what I paid for it (maybe 100+% if I threw in a few thousand primers!) further reducing my actual cost.  Reloading just seems like money in the bank assuming you're gonna be shooting more than a few hundred rounds a month.  But, you do need the space for a bench and the time to dedicate to the hobby.  I've got both and I find it enjoyable and rewarding, both emotionally and financially.

Edited by mvmojo
correction

RisingSun - With all due respect to your comments I view my reloading machines (Dillon and RCBS) as investments because once you and I decide to get out of reloading wheather we sell our equipment or pass it on to a family member that $1000 worth of equipment carries value. I read stories where reloaders send in their Dillon 550 or 650 systems into Dillon where they are rebuilt back to a new machine at no cost to the owner and in most cases those machines cost 1/4 when purchased vs. what those machines would cost now to purchase.

I am still loading on a RCBS Rock Chucker that I purchased 30+ years ago for about $50.00 and a Dillon 650 that I purchased over ten years ago  that I purchased new for about $400 give or take a few bucks. I know 650’s are now discontinued but I see comparable 650 systems today selling for over $800.00(I know the prices we are seeing today if a result of fear buying due to the current ammo prices non-reloaders are faced with today).

Again no disrespect intended to your post and comments - just my two cents worth on how I see my reloading equipment...Mark

Edited by Sigarmsp226

Given the scarcity of primers, now is a tough time to start reloading with an expectation of saving money. I started reloading so I could customize loads. Since I have primers (luckily), I’m saving a lot of money now. 

7 hours ago, AR Gunner said:

Given the scarcity of primers, now is a tough time to start reloading with an expectation of saving money. I started reloading so I could customize loads. Since I have primers (luckily), I’m saving a lot of money now. 

^^^^^ This.

Was at CPL practice (Concealed Pistol License in MI) and one of the other guys asked "why do your rounds sound so quiet?"  He was told about heavier bullet weights, Blue Bullets with less resistance and a significantly reduced powder charge but still making USPSA minor power factor.

Customizing your load to the gun is one of the keys to competition.  Getting the gun to shoot "flat" is a combination of several things but starts with building your own ammunition.

BC

I would say go for it, if you have (or can get) enough supplies: primers, bullets, cases and powder.

Its fun to make your own ammo. I started some 8 years ago, yes, it is a learning curve, but very manageable.

There is a lot of info online, youtube vids and also the powder suppliers have a lot of info regarding loads

online. Bought a couple of books, but think the more up-to-date  loading info can be found online easier.

Just stat with something that is not too fancy, start in the middle to lower end of the powder range, just to be safe.

I have a lot of fun making and shooting my own stuff. Not going for any fancy loads, just a hobby shooter here.

21 hours ago, AR Gunner said:

Even paying market gun broker prices, you still save money and likely more than paying market ammo prices. Look at 9mm, primer for 15 cents, bullet for 10 and powder for 3 and that's 28 cents a round.

Most 9mm is going for 80-90 cents a round so you'd be saving over 50 cents a round compared to before covid you would only be saving 6 cents or less a round.